Disconnected Offroad
Eventbrite - Rock the Clock 3

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jkj

Brake kits

17 posts in this topic

Thinking of ordering a big brake kit from @Artayay. Anyone have any input? 2011 2dr.

Choices.

1) Teraflex. Slotted or non. With or without oversized master cylinder. 

2) Dynatrac Pro Grip. All 4 wheels. 

3) Put my fat ass on a diet  

I've heard that the European spec brakes ate larger but don't know if it's true or if you can get them here

The teraflex master is basically a Jeep Liberty master. They can be had at the parts store for less than a $100. How bad do you think your brakes are? In the past I've had good luck with drilled and slotted rotors with good pads like Performance Friction, Hawk, etc.

The Brake Man is also coming out with a kit for the JK's but it is going to be pretty expensive. 

I have Bendix pads and Bosch rotors all the way around. I have about $100 into it. I feel it stops 40s adequately. I bought everything on sale on amazon. Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

The teraflex master is basically a Jeep Liberty master. They can be had at the parts store for less than a $100. How bad do you think your brakes are? In the past I've had good luck with drilled and slotted rotors with good pads like Performance Friction, Hawk, etc.

The Brake Man is also coming out with a kit for the JK's but it is going to be pretty expensive. 

​In the vein of this thread, is there anything better than the Liberty or J8 master cylinder out there if one wanted to piece together a system?  What master cylinder are you running these days, Jeremy?

I have Bendix pads and Bosch rotors all the way around. I have about $100 into it. I feel it stops 40s adequately. I bought everything on sale on amazon. Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

It just feels like I'm going to rear end someone. Very soft pedal. I'll give this a shot before I go out and blow a grand. The money saved will come in handy in Wildwood bars. 

It just feels like I'm going to rear end someone. Very soft pedal. I'll give this a shot before I go out and blow a grand. The money saved will come in handy in Wildwood bars. 

​I feel the same way, but haven't upgraded yet. 

Dynatrac looks much better to me, but I can't bring myself to trust anything that Teraflex makes

​In the vein of this thread, is there anything better than the Liberty or J8 master cylinder out there if one wanted to piece together a system?  What master cylinder are you running these days, Jeremy?

​Right now I'm running the BR6 Master which is the heavy duty one from 12 and up JK's. I'm told it is the same as the Liberty but the liberty is cheaper. I know it is the same bore. They are the only bolt in setup that I know of. They are 1.0625 bore. For reference the J8 Master is 1.125" bore but very difficult to find and the factory is a 1" bore. The liberty / BR6 master give you approximately 15% more fluid movement which is a noticeable difference with factory calipers. When I was running factory brakes I was running EBC Yellow Pads with drilled and slotted rotors front and rear. I thought the brakes were fine with 40's.   

I'm waiting for the new Mopar kit to become available. It's supposedly in transit from the manufacture but it consists of a new master and booster. I'm told it is 1.25" bore which will be perfect with my 1 ton brakes. I have one on back order so when it shows up I'll find out for sure.

^^  Bro, what is the part number for that wonderous new Mopar master and booster kit?  I assume was intended to accompany the new JK-ready Dana 60 option.  The ProRocks brake pretty well with the BR6, but with two-piston F-350 discs up front now and two-piston Dodge 2500 discs in the rear, I gotta believe it can be even better with another 1/8" of bore.

^^  Bro, what is the part number for that wonderous new Mopar master and booster kit?  I assume was intended to accompany the new JK-ready Dana 60 option.  The ProRocks brake pretty well with the BR6, but with two-piston F-350 discs up front now and two-piston Dodge 2500 discs in the rear, I gotta believe it can be even better with another 1/8" of bore.

​P5160050. Should be a little over $200.

The Mopar BBK has been out for a while, but only found one forum talking about them in depth. The kit includes everything needed for the upgrade and much cheaper than Tera and Dyna.  Any thoughts?

Big Brake Kit
The Jeep Performance Parts Big Brake Kit includes 13-inch rotors, dual piston calipers, brake lines, heavy-duty pads for the front axle and a matching brake booster and master cylinder (must have at least 17-inch wheels). Booster and master cylinder also are available separately.

Big Brake Kit for Jeep Wrangler – Part No. P5160051: $795

looks good to me, bro. Anything is an improvement over stock, but I think that's the optional kit for the Ultimate 60

I've got about 500 miles on the Dynatrac kit and I'm very pleased with it. There's no nose dive and it went in pretty quickly even though I had no experience working on brakes. I'd say it brakes about as well as stock.

That being said, if I had the confidence to install the new master cylinder in a weekend I would have gone with the Mopar kit with the larger calipers.

This is a mod I've been wanting to do since I moved to 37" tires, but been waiting to see if any of the 4x4 magazines did a comparison between the Teraflex and Dynatrac.  The Mopar BBK seems to be a more complete kit and cost less than the aftermarket ones.

I can tell you that if the piston size/count goes up, get the big master cylinder.