Disconnected Offroad

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mike

Slotted Brake Rotors

5 posts in this topic

I have a pretty good idea on this, but wanted to start a thread to gain some factual information and stories from experience.  Putting bigger tires on a Jeep means more weight, which also means harder work for the stock braking system.  When looking for brake upgrades, it's easy to start looking at slotted rotors as a potential choice.  But, in my educated guessing, slotted rotors would just be destroyed very quickly if used on a Jeep seeing any time in sand, water, or rock.  I've seen what sand and pebbles do stock rotors and pads so I can only imagine what a rock stuck in a slot would do.

Anyone use slotted rotors?  Anyone hear of issues?  I am kind of comfortable with using oem spec and replacing often. 

Found the below on the interwebz.  In their opinion, better brake pads and SS brake lines are the key to happiness.  I also understand the new ProGrip kit from Dynatrac makes a serious difference.  The Globex boys have been installing a lot of them.

Slotted Rotors
Slotted brake rotors are a great alternative to drilled rotors because they serve the same purpose of expelling hot brake gas, but since they retain the strength of the rotor, they do not crack like drilled rotors can. We highly recommend slotted rotors such as StopTech. Some people argue that the drilled rotors are more for show, and the slotted rotors are more for race and performance. Slotted rotors are also better designed for wet conditions as they move water away from the rotor more efficiently for superior wet braking.

What's best for the street vs the track?
Most of our customers will not notice a difference in stopping performance from the brake rotor, but rather from the brake pads. The advantages from cross drilled and slotted rotors comes during extremely hard and repetitive braking such as in competition use. For the best bang for the buck, we recommend a good set of brake pads and if your car is older with rubber brake lines, to replace them with stainless steel brake lines.

Found the below on the interwebz.  In their opinion, better brake pads and SS brake lines are the key to happiness.  I also understand the new ProGrip kit from Dynatrac makes a serious difference.  The Globex boys have been installing a lot of them.

Slotted Rotors
Slotted brake rotors are a great alternative to drilled rotors because they serve the same purpose of expelling hot brake gas, but since they retain the strength of the rotor, they do not crack like drilled rotors can. We highly recommend slotted rotors such as StopTech. Some people argue that the drilled rotors are more for show, and the slotted rotors are more for race and performance. Slotted rotors are also better designed for wet conditions as they move water away from the rotor more efficiently for superior wet braking.

What's best for the street vs the track?
Most of our customers will not notice a difference in stopping performance from the brake rotor, but rather from the brake pads. The advantages from cross drilled and slotted rotors comes during extremely hard and repetitive braking such as in competition use. For the best bang for the buck, we recommend a good set of brake pads and if your car is older with rubber brake lines, to replace them with stainless steel brake lines.

Yes, there are performance gains on the street and track, but will these gains end up being more damaging offroad? 

We don't see the heat you get on the track, but on the street it is not to be underestimated. If it were me, and I didn't want to do a kit, I'd do pads, ss brake lines and the JK-8 master cylinder (a $200 part) which has been awesome for my setup. That said I don't have stock brakes, so someone with a lot more brains than me (see Mike & NASCAR) can opine if a beefier master cylinder will help the stock calipers.

I used brembo slotted rotors and green stuff pads on mine when I was running the stock axles. They were a big improvement over stock especially with the 40's. I'd recommend that setup to anyone but it is spendy. I was lucky because we were working with brembo on some stuff so I got a deal. I've also installed the Teraflex Big brake kit with good results. 

I'd say a set of good pads are going to make the biggest difference. I've used power slot rotors in the past with good results but never on a JK.