Disconnected Offroad
Mike

The Base Camp

If anyone is looking for an easy way to add a backup camera, this thing is awesome.  I found it on another Forum (Jaguar, don't worry, I'm not stepping out on you guys).  I'll probably get one for the Jag, but that at least has backup sensors.  Since I went to 37's (let alone 40's) I haven't been able to see anything rearward.  Backing up that big boy in parking lots has always been a little puckering.  Yeah, running a rear cam and wires is doable, but this thing has a solar powered backup camera (with battery so night isn't a problem) AND it comes with it's own 5" monitor which looks like a smartphone.  Installation took minutes and it worked perfectly right out of the box.  Costco is the exclusive distributor, apparently, and it runs for $125.

https://www.costco.com/Type-S-Solar-Powered-HD-Quick-Connect-Wireless-Backup-Camera.product.10042501

imageService?profileId=12026540&id=12719

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kobbs_77 said:

If anyone is looking for an easy way to add a backup camera, this thing is awesome.  I found it on another Forum (Jaguar, don't worry, I'm not stepping out on you guys).  I'll probably get one for the Jag, but that at least has backup sensors.  Since I went to 37's (let alone 40's) I haven't been able to see anything rearward.  Backing up that big boy in parking lots has always been a little puckering.  Yeah, running a rear cam and wires is doable, but this thing has a solar powered backup camera (with battery so night isn't a problem) AND it comes with it's own 5" monitor which looks like a smartphone.  Installation took minutes and it worked perfectly right out of the box.  Costco is the exclusive distributor, apparently, and it runs for $125.

https://www.costco.com/Type-S-Solar-Powered-HD-Quick-Connect-Wireless-Backup-Camera.product.10042501

imageService?profileId=12026540&id=12719

@Phoenix

If this is activated by waving or touching the screen, as opposed to hard wired to reverse, this would make a great front camera if it could be angled down enough. 

On 10/29/2018 at 10:35 PM, WARDY said:

If this is activated by waving or touching the screen, as opposed to hard wired to reverse, this would make a great front camera if it could be angled down enough. 

That is indeed how it's activated.  No hardwire to the reverse light and the view is very broad.  I actually turn it on at stoplights and while driving to pretend I have a rearview mirror.  I don't even have the rearview installed since I needed a new windshield after the last JKX.

Is anyone going to Jeeps in the Vineyard next weekend?

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Is anyone going to Jeeps in the Vineyard next weekend?

I think Perry is registered. I'm going to walk around

I'll be there trying for big pos the year

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Good morning! I’m going to come down tomorrow. I was originally going to register, but I dragged my feet and missed it. Since I wasn’t registered I didn’t get my hard top on or do any maintenance so I’ll be rockin’ my minivan in the spectator lot. 

• Like 2

I blew the rear dana 44 diff in my jeep yesterday. Rear is pretty much toast, but I will be selling the nitro cromolly axles, they'll need new bearings and seals. I'll also have a solid diff cover for sale too if anyone is interested.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, rich6700 said:

I blew the rear dana 44 diff in my jeep yesterday. Rear is pretty much toast, but I will be selling the nitro cromolly axles, they'll need new bearings and seals. I'll also have a solid diff cover for sale too if anyone is interested.

Ouch. What replacement are you going with?

Where and what happened?
I was lost going to basto village. I thought I was on basto rd off of 206 by Annes diner. Anyway I was on a trail I believe is called water rd. After getting stuck 4 times a came up to a huge pond that I couldn't get around. So while making a u turn the rear made a noise but I thought it was something else. So I headed back sinking the jeep pretty good in one of the holes. (6 inches of water in the jeep and a 100 ft of winch rope out). After making it back to 206 and heading home I began to smell gear oil when I was stopped at a traffic light. I made it to the foot of the turnpike bridge on the nj side and the rear let loose.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, rich6700 said:

I was lost going to basto village. I thought I was on basto rd off of 206 by Annes diner. Anyway I was on a trail I believe is called water rd. After getting stuck 4 times a came up to a huge pond that I couldn't get around. So while making a u turn the rear made a noise but I thought it was something else. So I headed back sinking the jeep pretty good in one of the holes. (6 inches of water in the jeep and a 100 ft of winch rope out). After making it back to 206 and heading home I began to smell gear oil when I was stopped at a traffic light. I made it to the foot of the turnpike bridge on the nj side and the rear let loose.

Water Rd sucks. 

• Like 1

Well I thought I was going to be getting a Dana 60 but I won't be able to get it until February. So I went with a curry rock jock 44. And it's a little cheaper than the 60. Hopefully I'll get it in 4 weeks.

I’ve never done water road. I heard it’s hell. 

@rich6700 is a front D60 coming with it? 

I'm guessing you're on the "no new parts unless broken" plan with the wife and gave it a good send while in Wharton.  :lol:

[mention=18]rich6700[/mention] is a front D60 coming with it? 
I'm guessing you're on the "no new parts unless broken" plan with the wife and gave it a good send while in Wharton.  
Just the rear.

Facebook has become the Idiocracy of the Jeeping world.

So many idiots angry posting and complaining about not being able to drive over 55 mph in the snow, spinning out, wondering why their mud tires don't grip better . . . 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mike said:

Facebook has become the Idiocracy of the Jeeping world.

So many idiots angry posting and complaining about not being able to drive over 55 mph in the snow, spinning out, wondering why their mud tires don't grip better . . . 

I think when the useful life of my current set of Nitto's approaches, I'm going to try siping them.  https://www.onedirt.com/tech/the-beginners-guide-to-grooving-and-siping-your-tires/

On 11/13/2018 at 11:26 AM, rich6700 said:

Just the rear.

Did you try Globex, Northridge and East Coast Axle?  All of them stock stuff and I think Mike has a ton of PR 44's. 

Edited by kobbs_77

Did you try Globex, Northridge and East Coast Axle?  All of them stock stuff and I think Mike has a ton of PR 44's. 
Ordered one through northridge, no one seems to have a rear housing in stock. And I don't want a g2 axle

Bartact is still the best on the market. 

If you want just a quick cheap cover for wheeling or for a sudden downpour, look at GrimeGuard.