funjester

Tappet Lifter Issue

3 posts in this topic

A friend of mine sent me this.......

A couple of My jeep push rods are coming out of thier tappet lifters. Can you ask one of your jeep smart guys if there's any easy way to fix that, or am I going to have to rebuild the motor?

Straight 6, 4.0 liter, 2000 cherokee classic. I've repositioned them a few times, but it keeps happening. Sucks.

112,000 miles on it.

Anyone have a clue?

Thanks

www.funjester.com

The 4.0 has a bridge that goes across the intake and the exhaust valve on each cylinder. If the bridge is broken the valves will make noise. To check them ,both valves have to be closed or you'll break it as soon as you loosen the bolt. If it's not broken the other problem is a worn lifter. In that case you'll need a new cam , lifters, and while your at it you might as well replace the timing chain and water pump while its apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk .

Pissing off my wife since 87.

1 person likes this

The 4.0 has a bridge that goes across the intake and the exhaust valve on each cylinder. If the bridge is broken the valves will make noise. To check them ,both valves have to be closed or you'll break it as soon as you loosen the bolt. If it's not broken the other problem is a worn lifter. In that case you'll need a new cam , lifters, and while your at it you might as well replace the timing chain and water pump while its apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk .

Pissing off my wife since 87.

Thanks Rich, I'll pass the message along.

Appreciate it.

www.funjester.com