Disconnected Offroad

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BEASTY

Pro's and cons of 12.5 wide tire vs 13.5. On a 9" steel wheel

Just as the topic states what's the pros and cons. Do I want a 12.5 or 13.5? The flavor will be in a 37 / 17

Thanks ahead of time for your responses.

Agree with Perry

My iroks are 36x13.5 and measure 36.5 actual. If you want to go nuts you can pull my spare off and see how it looks on yours

I think 13.5 looks better in a 37. 12.5 starts to look skinny as you get that tall.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Performance wise? Airing down? Does it make a difference?

I like a little wider tire's performance, but you'll get tons of different opinions on it

I think 13.5 looks better in a 37. 12.5 starts to look skinny as you get that tall. Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Performance wise? Airing down? Does it make a difference?

Nothing you or I would directly notice.

It might make a difference cornering on the street. Can't think of anything else other than potential rubbing issues at full lock. You can only get spacers so big.

Like others have said you are probably not going to notice much of a difference performance wise with the extra inch in width. I think the only other thing a 13.5 might be a little better at is for holding a bead. Wider tires tend to hold beads better because the section width puts slightly more pressure on the beads. 

Biggest difference I've noticed is that the 13.5 on average tends to be about an inch or so wider than the 12.5. But I don't really wheel that much.

Biggest difference I've noticed is that the 13.5 on average tends to be about an inch or so wider than the 12.5. But I don't really wheel that much.

Quoted for high level of hilarity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember from someplace that tall & skinny tires do better in mud and snow because they can sink down to the solid surface underneath.  I don't know if that's true anymore, or really if it was ever true, since I've never been a mudder. 

Some mud people like wide tires to "float" them too

When I first read this it sounded like a trunkmonkey 1 liner.

44 minutes ago, HEAVYMETAL said:

When I first read this it sounded like a trunkmonkey 1 liner.

Ha!

Wider footprint when aired down. Every inch counts in this game. They look much better then a skinny 37.

The thing you want to look at is weight comparisons. They will vary with brands. I've seen 37x13.5R17 weight less than a 12.5. And seen some 13.5 that were astronomical in weight ratio.

That will be a performance issue. Adding that weight to what ever wheels you are putting them on will play a major role. Just my 2cents.

On 3/11/2016 at 9:47 PM, rmm said:

Some mud people like wide tires to "float" them too

Sounds good, but in reality the tread loads-up and you just spin your wheels, throwing mud all over the place until you sink enough to catch traction.

16 hours ago, DocSiz said:

Wider footprint when aired down. Every inch counts in this game. They look much better then a skinny 37.

How do you feel about skinny 4D's?

945286_1037419986349125_1536491273161730

Heh that thing is cool looking. Those are coker repro military tires. I like them because of that but I wouldn't buy them.