Disconnected Offroad

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mike

Synthetic Winch Lines

I still haven't pulled the  trigger on a new winch line just yet.  It does seem that the market is starting to get saturated in new companies making lines.  Prices seem to be running all over the place from just under $100 to over $400 plus add-ons like thimbles, connectors, and hooks.  

There's at least 2 companies that I keep seeing pop up on Facebook with Sponsored posts, but they are so generic I can't think of their names right now.

There's Voodoo Offroad  http://voodoooffroadropes.com/

There's Custom Splice   http://www.customsplice.com/

There's Smittybilt  http://www.smittybilt.com/product/index/97.htm

There's Quadratec  http://www.quadratec.com/products/92123_20X6_PG.htm

There's Tuff Stuff http://truckandwinch.com/grey-92-x-3-8-inch-synthetic-dyneema-winch-rope-with-black-hook-rock-guard-12750lbs.html

There's Master Pull  http://www.masterpull.com/synthetic-winch-lines/

There's Bubba Rope http://www.bubbarope.com/winch-replacement-line

There's Warn 

And I am sure there's others out there.  

What I am trying to build here is a little bit of a buyer's guide, not just for myself, but for anyone who may be in the market in the near future.  So, what am I looking for now?  Any experience with the brands above.  Any recommendations you have found elsewhere.  And, your own opinions on what you look for, what you like, what you don't like, etc.  Even though a lot of lines I'm sure are purchased just purely for the price, I know a lot of you on here subscribe to the buy once for quality and longevity mentality.  For instance, you can buy 4 Tuff Stuff lines for the price of one Master Pull, but that isn't going to help you if if fails on the trail.    

I used the Tuff Stuff line before.  This was before heat shields were popular, and it didn't come with a chafe sleeve.  The line worked great for about two years before it snapped trying to pull myself up the big ledge on Old Florida Road.  I just tied it back together, not a proper splice, and kept going.  It broke where it had been chafed previously on rocks.  Which is why a chafe sleeve is important.

I had dozens of pulls on that line, including an F250 buried to its axles out at the sand quarry.  No evidence of any melting against the drum. 

As far as I'm concerned, dyneema is dyneema.  But the Tuff Stuff fibers seemed a bit stiffer to me than Spydura.  Didn't make any difference in use.  But my guess is, like most things, stuff made in China can get any label or stamp applied they want without actually being true.  Nobody seems to be monitoring compliance except, maybe, trademark holders.

12 minutes ago, Bump said:

I used the Tuff Stuff line before.  This was before heat shields were popular, and it didn't come with a chafe sleeve.  The line worked great for about two years before it snapped trying to pull myself up the big ledge on Old Florida Road.  I just tied it back together, not a proper splice, and kept going.  It broke where it had been chafed previously on rocks.  Which is why a chafe sleeve is important.

I had dozens of pulls on that line, including an F250 buried to its axles out at the sand quarry.  No evidence of any melting against the drum. 

As far as I'm concerned, dyneema is dyneema.  But the Tuff Stuff fibers seemed a bit stiffer to me than Spydura.  Didn't make any difference in use.  But my guess is, like most things, stuff made in China can get any label or stamp applied they want without actually being true.  Nobody seems to be monitoring compliance except, maybe, trademark holders.

I tend to agree with bump that Dyneema is Dyneema IF it is, in fact, Dyneema.  I have zero clue if non-Dyneema is out there masquerading as the real thing, but I'd bet there is.  Lot's of knots will put synth back together to make it usable.  The scary thing I saw was one snap with a very vertical pull up a nasty RC obstacle and the rig slid dangerously backwards.  Shoulda been a two-rig pull, but the angles were terrible.

My two cents:  The Spydura that came with my Warn 9.5 CTI-s was trouble free, heavily used and shows it.  I got the Masterpull XD because I don't want 100' on the drum and I like the idea of an outer covering to keep the working strands clear of debris and as anti-chafe. It also costs as much as a really nice winch, but I'm a dope like that.  I also seem to find myself getting further and further off-pavement. 

The rope I got off eBay for somewhere around $120 (I forget) was from a US seller who specializes in winch lines and climbing ropes.  It was a 110' or 120' remnant off the spool.  Came with some kind of rubberized anti-chafe coating the entire length.  Which, as you say, is very nice because a) it shows places where the rope is getting rubbed (and should be protected by a chafe sleeve in the future) and b) keeps debris from getting into the fibers, causing wear.

I saw that seller had some more winch line up for sale at good prices last week.  But they're gone now.

My fear is that there seems to be a big jump in companies making line with not really that much of a demand in market that some junk will start filtering in from those looking to make a quick buck.  The latest boom in Jeep accessories have been for fashion vs function.  The new wave of JK owners are more worried about matching their winch line color to their rims than what the line can pull and that scares me that those lines could end up on a functioning Jeep.

27 minutes ago, Klink said:

My fear is that there seems to be a big jump in companies making line with not really that much of a demand in market that some junk will start filtering in from those looking to make a quick buck.  The latest boom in Jeep accessories have been for fashion vs function.  The new wave of JK owners are more worried about matching their winch line color to their rims than what the line can pull and that scares me that those lines could end up on a functioning Jeep.

Does that mean @rmm is gonna have to find stainless steel braid for his bling machine?

3 hours ago, kobbs_77 said:

Does that mean @rmm is gonna have to find stainless steel braid for his bling machine?

I'm currently looking for sacrificial rock spinners

It's already happened. That and the influx of Chinese copy cats. I feel guilty about buying the Chinese JWS clones but JWS doesn't sell anything with switchback halos. Once I saw them my inner ricer couldn't be ignored.

Also look on Amazon or eBay and see all the Chinese bumpers and light bars. I bought a Chinese headlight guard -- a clone of the Rugged Ridge euro guards, which is almost poetic in its irony. The mounting tabs didn't come close to lining up with the headlight bucket holes. It's like they saw a picture of the original and decided to make copies without even understanding what they were used for, and made no attempt to reproduce the measurements or do any qa.

I was looking on ebay to see if I could find the rope guy I bought from, and there had to be 100 sellers listing synthetic line direct from China in any color you want.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Bump said:

It's already happened. That and the influx of Chinese copy cats. I feel guilty about buying the Chinese JWS clones but JWS doesn't sell anything with switchback halos. Once I saw them my inner ricer couldn't be ignored.

Also look on Amazon or eBay and see all the Chinese bumpers and light bars. I bought a Chinese headlight guard -- a clone of the Rugged Ridge euro guards, which is almost poetic in its irony. The mounting tabs didn't come close to lining up with the headlight bucket holes. It's like they saw a picture of the original and decided to make copies without even understanding what they were used for, and made no attempt to reproduce the measurements or do any qa.

I was looking on ebay to see if I could find the rope guy I bought from, and there had to be 100 sellers listing synthetic line direct from China in any color you want.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Type Synthetic into Amazon and you'll find tons of sellers offering you weed and piss.