Jump to content
Disconnected Offroad

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mike

Replacement Skid Plate Bolts

6 posts in this topic

Has anyone found a good source for replacement skid bolts or even better, a solution that leaves the bolt heads a little better protected?  I seem to remember seeing a flat headed bolt with a torx bit, but can't find it.  There's also the option of replacing the bolts with stock replacements and using Rock Hard's dome protectors.  http://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-6000-sw-496.htm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
23 minutes ago, Klink said:

Has anyone found a good source for replacement skid bolts or even better, a solution that leaves the bolt heads a little better protected?  I seem to remember seeing a flat headed bolt with a torx bit, but can't find it.  There's also the option of replacing the bolts with stock replacements and using Rock Hard's dome protectors.  http://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-6000-sw-496.htm

I do see some complaints about the dome protectors, but I totally shaved off the heads of a couple unprotected bolts on the stock skids.  Even if they're not perfect, I think that they're a much better option

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Just now, rmm said:

I do see some complaints about the dome protectors, but I totally shaved off the heads of a couple unprotected bolts on the stock skids.  Even if they're not perfect, I think that they're a much better option

That's kind of what I am thinking.  I'd be more willing to pull the skids for some maintenance if I didn't have to grind new sides to the damn bolts every time.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

The torx bolts smear and are a lot harder to get out. Fastenal should be able hook you up with regular bolts if you want to use the bolt protectors. If it were me I'd just replace the bolts every year or two. They aren't that much and they come out pretty easy with some vice grips or hammering a socket on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
1 minute ago, Klink said:

That's kind of what I am thinking.  I'd be more willing to pull the skids for some maintenance if I didn't have to grind new sides to the damn bolts every time.  

I can grab some photos if you want.  I beat the hell out of my skids, and the last time I looked i could still get a socket on the bolt heads, even though some had gotten a bit of a haircut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

I like to use carriage bolts... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

×