Disconnected Offroad
Sign in to follow this  
Bump

Difference between legal and illegal firearm in NJ?

52 posts in this topic

I'm a bit confused.  Was thinking of heading out to PA and picking up a rifle this weekend.  I see a bunch of you guys have AR's, but after reading through NJ laws I'm confused about what's legal and what's not.  Since I'm buying in PA I need to know, as they sell stuff that isn't legal in NJ.

There's a laundry list of specific weapons that are illegal.  Then there's a the statement that "any firearm ... substantially similar to" the list is prohibited.  Since the Colt AR-15 is specifically designated, what makes other AR's "legal" to own?  For example, I was thinking of either the Colt MP-15 or maybe a Windham M4 or Stag SA3,  I know the magazine needs to be 15 rounds or less; is that all that's necessary to make it legal in NJ?

Then there's shotguns.  Apparently you can't have any kind of pistol grip on a shotgun in NJ, even if there's a fixed full length stock on the gun?  And magazine capacity needs to be 6 rounds or less?  Is that with 3" or 2.75" shells?   I was also thinking of getting a Mossberg 500, but my choice is either 5+1 or 7+1 with 2.75" shells; less one if I use 3" shells. 

The answers to all your questions can be found here:  http://www.evannappen.com/gun-law-books.html

Evan Nappen is NJ's foremost gun law attorney.  I have earlier editions of this book, but not the latest which addresses the laws passed this year. I have to get this one.  If you own a gun in NJ, you need this book.

• Like 1

A combination of "evil features" makes rifles illegal. To make an AR legal is cannot have:

1. Collapsible stock

2. Flash hider

3. Threaded barrel

4. Larger than 15 round mags

88069dae4f8bb3013f1fb6d62cf80669.jpg

This MP15 is 100% communist approved (as of today's date)

Buy a basic AR from an NJ dealer. It will take the guess work out of the bullshit legalities. An MP15 Sport II sells for around $700 even before tax and NICS. It's a good platform to learn and build up from. Once you become familiar build something real bad ass, like a 7.62 M5!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Sooo you cant have a collapsible stock cause then it be short enough to hide in your waist band, you cant have a threaded barrel cause then you could ad a flash suppressor and if you had a flash suppressor then you'd leave no signature and the good guys wouldn't be able to tell where you're shooting from and you have to have mags of 15 or les so you need to carry more mags and reload more often....yeah that's gonna slow me down and make me think twice about going postal...

Bump it might be cheaper to move to PA...

Perry when you going to build an 80% er???

In NJ you NEVER show your guns.

And I am seriously considering moving to PA.  The only thing that is stopping me is that the last time I moved I my job changed and I wound up having to commute 2 hours each way to my office instead of working from home.  I'm looking for a new job now in a gun-friendly state, hopefully out west where it's also off-road friendly.

NJ is too far gone. If you think its bad now, what until they adopt the Safe Act. They won't be happy until the only thing legal is a muzzle loader.

Yup. Canoe capsized.

Seriously? I'm sorry, that sucks.

• Like 2

Sooo you cant have a collapsible stock cause then it be short enough to hide in your waist band, you cant have a threaded barrel cause then you could ad a flash suppressor and if you had a flash suppressor then you'd leave no signature and the good guys wouldn't be able to tell where you're shooting from and you have to have mags of 15 or les so you need to carry more mags and reload more often....yeah that's gonna slow me down and make me think twice about going postal...

Bump it might be cheaper to move to PA...

Perry when you going to build an 80% er???

I'm not sure? I want to finish an m5 first. I'm thinking 20" 1/12 free float... Yada Yada. I'd like a 600-1000 effective range. If I want to go any further I'll go to 338 lapua.

8 hours ago, HEAVYMETAL said:

I'm not sure? I want to finish an m5 first. I'm thinking 20" 1/12 free float... Yada Yada. I'd like a 600-1000 effective range. If I want to go any further I'll go to 338 lapua.

Nice...I was thinking of doing an AR-10 next but then I really want to limit the various rounds I'll need to stock up on right now I have over 2k rounds of .40, .45, 12 ga, 7.62x39 and 5.56/.223 do I really need/want another caliber???

How's availability on 300 Blackhawk?  Not that I can get a can in NJ, but if/when I move out of state it might be a nice option.

How's availability on 300 Blackhawk?  Not that I can get a can in NJ, but if/when I move out of state it might be a nice option.

300 blackout?

It's becoming more and more available in sub and supersonic. It's down to about the price of .308.

I'd like to run subsonic 230g suppressed for home defence. The action of the gun is actually louder than the report. Pretty bad ass. But....... NJ made suppressors illegal for some stupid reason.

2 hours ago, Bump said:

1 hour ago, HEAVYMETAL said:

300 blackout?

It's becoming more and more available in sub and supersonic. It's down to about the price of .308.

I'd like to run subsonic 230g suppressed for home defence. The action of the gun is actually louder than the report. Pretty bad ass. But....... NJ made suppressors illegal for some stupid reason.

The 300 is the new sexy cartridge on the street. But not only is it sexy its versatile from CQB Subsonic Suppressed to Supersonic s that will reach out and touch someone. If I didn't have all my money tied up in .223 & 7.62x39 it be the only round I use, either in an AR-15 Suppressed pistol or In an AR-15 Supersonic set for 1000+ yds

• Like 1

If I start out with a .223/5.56 AR platform I can just swap a 300 Blackout upper, right? 

55 minutes ago, Bump said:

If I start out with a .223/5.56 AR platform I can just swap a 300 Blackout upper, right? 

No the .300 is a hole new round, new upper, new barrel, new bcg....the lower would remain the same

.300 AAC Blackout

Benefits

More muzzle energy than 5.56 NATO
    Able to be suppressed more effectively than 5.56
    Uses a larger bullet for more damage to target
    Able to penetrate barriers more effectively
    Armor piercing and incendiary bullets available (if not completely legally)
    Supersonic and subsonic ammunition available
    Swapping between supersonic and subsonic requires no changes to the gun
    Can be made from 5.56 brass, easy to reload

Drawbacks

Ammunition is not widely available but is becoming more readily available every day
    Ammunition is currently slightly expensive and will remain that way as it is the new sexy

No the .300 is a hole new round, new upper, new barrel, new bcg....the lower would remain the same

I think the BCG is the same because the only part of the casing that changed is the neck?

I think the BCG is the same because the only part of the casing that changed is the neck?

Got carried away there, you are correct sir.

Don't worry about it!

• Like 1

Give me an 80% lower and some cash and I know a guy that will mill it

Sent from Skynet

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Nascar said:

Give me an 80% lower and some cash and I know a guy that will mill it

Sent from Skynet

For real, or is this how I get picked up by the ATF somehow? 

• Like 1