Disconnected Offroad

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mike

Roof Rack or Trailer?

2 hours ago, Trunk Monkey said:

That's what I've researched and come to the same conclusion. I figured it would end up being my son and I in the tent up top and my wife and daughter in the teardrop.

Soon as I find a spare $45k, I'll have a  Moby1 :lol:

I set up the trailer and purchased the RTT based on the idea I would be able to get the 5 of us to go camping.

That dream has been crushed by all the females banning together to require flush toilets.

Upside is that leaves more room and comforts for Jack and I.  

I've also decided that there are so many places right here in PA/NJ/NY/DE that until I've seen them all, I'm not leaving a 6 hour circle from home to camp.  Too bad part of that is the Atlantic Ocean.

My new goal is to camp 6 times per year.  Half with the trailer, half under tarps and on foot.

1 hour ago, Phoenix said:

I set up the trailer and purchased the RTT based on the idea I would be able to get the 5 of us to go camping.

That dream has been crushed by all the females banning together to require flush toilets.

I've also decided that there are so many places right here in PA/NJ/NY/DE that until I've seen them all, I'm not leaving a 6 hour circle from home to camp.  Too bad part of that is the Atlantic Ocean.

My new goal is to camp 6 times per year.  Half with the trailer, half under tarps and on foot.

If I could find a 101A at a crackhead price like you did I'd be building the same setup you have. 

@phoenix My wife went "camping" for the first time in her life this summer. We went to old Mill stream in the Dutch wonderland parking lot. She fell in love with it, but part of the appeal was the fully functional clean bathrooms with showers. So, not primitive by any means, but something along those lines might be a good intro for the females. My wife was dreading camping. She's now excited about it and wants to try other camp sites.

13 minutes ago, Kindred said:

@phoenix My wife went "camping" for the first time in her life this summer. We went to old Mill stream in the Dutch wonderland parking lot. She fell in love with it, but part of the appeal was the fully functional clean bathrooms with showers. So, not primitive by any means, but something along those lines might be a good intro for the females. My wife was dreading camping. She's now excited about it and wants to try other camp sites.

Last trip was Annie's first camping trip to Rickett's Glen. Trailer loaded with food, water, and roof top tent. Full, clean, bathrooms and showers less than 200 yards from the campsite.  Plenty to see and do.  Annie didn't bring half the stuff I had put on her clothing list, and she suffered for it.

Jack and I were not impressed with how close other campsites were located.  Annie didn't like the entire experience.

Not trying anymore.  Also not feeling guilty about leaving them at home.  

Family trip this year was to the Finger Lakes.  Fairly cool with opportunities to canoe and explore the woods, spent an hour on a lake.  Was a happy wife trip.  We're headed back next year.  Jack and I already have plans to spend a night in the woods and renting a few canoes and stand up paddle boards for the week.

There are going to be times when wife and family need to be a priority, and I'm more than trained on that.  There also need to be times to make yourself and your son happy.  Finding a balance, and not spending a chunk of change on stuff that won't get used, an ongoing struggle....

To date all the money I've spent on sharp things always seems money well spent.

Your trailer is perfect, especially for the price. Provides the ability to go on long trips and adds a level of comfort that one won't normally get

Sent from Skynet

On 7/29/2016 at 4:05 AM, Bump said:

A Gobi safari rack was one of the first mods I did to the JK.  Very solid, great looks, easy to open and close, even relatively easy to take the top rack part off and put back on (with help).  Noisy as hell, caused the soft top to drum and flap, wind rushing and whistling.  The extra wind resistance cut my MPG. I couldn't fit in most parking garages anymore.  Used it a few times on off-roading/camping trips and it was a pain.  If you're driving to a trailhead you have to unload all the crap off the roof rack before you head off-road.  On the trails it would get hung-up on trees.  When you get back from wheeling you have to load it all back on.  Then you drive to the campsite and repeat. Go on a multi-day trip where you're camping someplace different each night and you spend almost as much time loading and unloading as you do wheeling. With a trailer you just drop it, go wheeling, the hook back up and go to the campsite; then unload and load once. And with a trailer you're not climbing on your tires (and falling-off) trying to get stuff off the rack.

I sold the rack to a guy in PA.  He asked me why I was selling and I told him the truth.  He still bought it.  Two months later he put it up for sale.  

You can get a utility trailer from Harbor Freight for $400.  Add $200-250 worth of wood, hardware and paint.  That's less than half the price of a Gobi system.  Spend a few hundred more and you can even make something (crude) you can sleep in.  And when you're not using it for camping you can haul other stuff around.

They do look sexy though.  But unless I was building a show jeep I'd never get another.

I thought I asked this @Bump but I guess I never posted.

Did you have a regular or stealth Gobi?

When you talk of trail clearance, do you mean Wharton clearance or everywhere?

On 7/30/2016 at 9:52 PM, Trunk Monkey said:

If I could find a 101A at a crackhead price like you did I'd be building the same setup you have. 

I have a guy down here that regularly sells them for under 1K and they usually have the canvas top too. 

When I was using the Jeep for going to the beach for vacation I bought a hitch carrier. It's a pretty heavy duty one that has a kick up in it so it's higher off the ground. I then bought a bag that can be used on it so that I had waterproof storage. I used it for a number of Beach trips and other vacations and we always overpack. The only issue with it is when it's loaded you can't open the tailgate. I also added airbags to the rear springs so that I wasn't dragging azz when I was loaded down.  

I also used it for camping. It's nice to not have to put dirty campfire smelling gear back in the Jeep.

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 8:20 AM, ABadJeeper said:

I have a guy down here that regularly sells them for under 1K and they usually have the canvas top too. 

Keep your eyes out for one for me. 

Hitch carrier for this trip.  Had to leave some stuff home, but it worked.  This setup left me full acess to the cooler which was very convenient.

20160924_075526.jpg

35 minutes ago, Mike said:

Hitch carrier for this trip.  Had to leave some stuff home, but it worked.  This setup left me full acess to the cooler which was very convenient.

20160924_075526.jpg

Looks pretty crooked on that hitch. :stirthepot:

Actually, I got a hitch carrier for my bike.  I'll take some pics this weekend because of all places, Quadratec had a hitch carrier for $125 that fits perfectly for my 40 with zero modifications and zero rattles.  The way it does it is that instead of a hitch pin, it has a bolt and the inserted part of the hitch is tapped on the passenger side of the tube only (the bolt is long enough to pass through both holes)  You tighten the bolt and it pulls the square tube tight to the passenger side of the receiver and presto, no rattles.  Because you're set up for a hitch pin, you can't tap the tube and you'd probably have to use a flag nut or weld a nut on the inside of the tube.  A long enough flag nut either bought or fabbed is probably the easiest solution.  Grab an 18V and you're out of the hitch in 10 seconds.

9 minutes ago, kobbs_77 said:

Looks pretty crooked on that hitch. :stirthepot:

Actually, I got a hitch carrier for my bike.  I'll take some pics this weekend because of all places, Quadratec had a hitch carrier for $125 that fits perfectly for my 40 with zero modifications and zero rattles.  The way it does it is that instead of a hitch pin, it has a bolt and the inserted part of the hitch is tapped on the passenger side of the tube only (the bolt is long enough to pass through both holes)  You tighten the bolt and it pulls the square tube tight to the passenger side of the receiver and presto, no rattles.  Because you're set up for a hitch pin, you can't tap the tube and you'd probably have to use a flag nut or weld a nut on the inside of the tube.  A long enough flag nut either bought or fabbed is probably the easiest solution.  Grab an 18V and you're out of the hitch in 10 seconds.

It is very crooked, as I stated before.  Most of it comes from the hitch tube, some of it because of the smaller hitch pin I had to use.  Once I get the JCR bumper on, I'm going to look into that leveling clamp.

2 hours ago, Trunk Monkey said:

Keep your eyes out for one for me. 

I'll see what he has. I know he sells stuff on ebay all the time. I'll try and find his user id so you can follow him if you use ebay.