Disconnected Offroad
Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Colorado 2018

112 posts in this topic

Setting a broad goal for a wheeling trip out to Colorado in 2018.  Most likely in the summer months.  At this point, looking for interest, ideas, and inspiration.  

Who's in?

• Like 2

Sure.  Jim Reel has wheeled every place ever and said that there was an event in Colorado in a certain location (I'll have to ping him to find out what and where it was) that he said was the best wheeling and most beautiful scenery he's ever seen.  Also, made some friends in Colorado while I was in AK.  Dave owns this place (not to mention one of the baddest rigs on the trip - Evo Double Throwdown, tons, Mud Grapplers and a big fucking Hemi conversion) and knows everywhere to wheel in CO along with his co-pilot Ben.  Real good dudes.

You guys up for a 30-32 hour drive??  I've done it twice already.  It's a ways.....

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, kobbs_77 said:

Sure.  Jim Reel has wheeled every place ever and said that there was an event in Colorado in a certain location (I'll have to ping him to find out what and where it was) that he said was the best wheeling and most beautiful scenery he's ever seen.  Also, made some friends in Colorado while I was in AK.  Dave owns this place (not to mention one of the baddest rigs on the trip - Evo Double Throwdown, tons, Mud Grapplers and a big fucking Hemi conversion) and knows everywhere to wheel in CO along with his co-pilot Ben.  Real good dudes.

You guys up for a 30-32 hour drive??  I've done it twice already.  It's a ways.....

Can we split that up over 2 days?  Or better yet, I'll start out a day early and others can catch up :lol:

• Like 1

I've got so many questions.

How long a trip?

Will we be camping most nights?

Any idea on general starting point in Colorado?

7 hours ago, Phoenix said:

I've got so many questions.

How long a trip?

Will we be camping most nights?

Any idea on general starting point in Colorado?

Hence why I am not even thinking about pulling this off until 2018.

My goal is to take a full two weeks off of work for this, giving me 14 days to pull this off.  

I plan on bringing the family along, depending on their willingness.

Goal is to drive out there and drive back in the Jeep, taking one route there and another route back.

Camping will be most nights if not all.  Again, depending on family involvement and gear setup at that point in time.

Plan is to start north in Colorado and head south. 

Just as a rough time management plan, think 4 day epic overland cross country trip, 4 days exploring Colorado, 4 day epic overland cross country trip back home with least half a day worth of wiggle room.

• Like 2

Trying to find a route that would run through Wyoming without adding too many hours.

Just getting started.....

This will help motivate me for the axle swap on the trailer.

• Like 3

Probably more like 50+ given the times they make it to Florida.

I would have to secure a solid 2 weeks in a row at work. That can be almost damn near impossible with my seniority level.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I'm interested. I doubt I would be able to get the 2 weeks off, but a week would be doable. 

I have a friend who has a car hauling business so I would most likely go that route. I've driven out and back from Denver once before and I have no desire to do that again.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The_Anvil_JK said:

I'm interested. I doubt I would be able to get the 2 weeks off, but a week would be doable. 

I have a friend who has a car hauling business so I would most likely go that route. I've driven out and back from Denver once before and I have no desire to do that again.

We'll meet you out there.

• Like 2

If this even becomes remotely possible for me I'll be towing mine out there.

• Like 1

Just to share my plans.  As I'll be depending on the Jeep to drive back and forth, I definitely will be looking for some good trails, but just don't see me doing anything beyond a dark blue as temp repairs won't hold up on a 2,000 mile return trip and spending any time in the shop would just suck.

There are so many options out there, I can't imagine different small groups couldn't do their own thing and return to a base camp. 

6 hours ago, The_Anvil_JK said:

Having made the drive between Denver and Chicago a few times I'd agree.  

• Like 1

Ok, so the wife is completely on board with this. This is likely to be a reality

• Like 2

According to my buddy Larry, late July is a good time to go because of trail openings.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HEAVYMETAL said:

According to my buddy Larry, late July is a good time to go because of trail openings.

Fuck! That might interfere with my Tahiti redux.

51 minutes ago, HEAVYMETAL said:

Late July / early August is the plan.  Black Bear just opened a few weeks ago for this year.

Late July / early August is the plan.  Black Bear just opened a few weeks ago for this year.

I am actually beyond pumped this could happen. My wife and I are creating a savings fund for this trip. She wants to stop at her cousins in Missouri for a night on the way home. This is going to be a blast to plan.

There's some amazing trails out there but couldn't do it a blue group and a black group. Difficult trails don't tend to have bypasses and don't fully loop for a lot of them. A camping trip and a wheeling trip would both be fun, but you're not likely to do both. Just something to consider as you try and bring a group with different interests together. It's not simple like an off-road park 

I'm just interested in getting out there. I don't need to run the hardest of core trails out there. Will I hit some hard stuff? Sure. But it's not my main objective.

9 hours ago, HEAVYMETAL said:

I'm just interested in getting out there. I don't need to run the hardest of core trails out there. Will I hit some hard stuff? Sure. But it's not my main objective.

I had a stock bronco II when I lived there and did a lot of scenic trails and primitive camping old mining places, stuff like that.  It was always fun and very scenic. 

I can't imagine pulling this off with the family. You're talking about a two week vacation that consists of driving, with more driving, and then a little driving thrown in to mix things up. 20 hours in the car is too much with the kids going to Disney. I can't imagine how this could possibly work with little ones.

13 hours ago, kobbs_77 said:

Fuck! That might interfere with my Tahiti redux.

Speechless :lol:

So many comical comments, none will work in written format