Disconnected Offroad
Sign in to follow this  
kobbs_77

Commercial Band / Race Radios

59 posts in this topic

I'm sure Bump is gonna be all over me, but Commercial Band VHF/UHF radios, or what the West Coast folks call "Race Radios", are the bomb, and waaaay better than CB is on the trail or at speed.  If I had my way, any group I lead would have them.  Comms, spotting in particular, A LOT easier.  No muss, no fuss and cheap! We had a borrowed one and they were just way better than CB in keeping the group in communication.

Here's a 5W for $27 https://amzn.com/B007H4VT7A

Here's a 20W for $90 https://amzn.com/B01FVVN2OS

• Like 1

Look up gmrs. We use them in NJJC and they seem to be great. At the private property we were at. You could be way out and still reach the house through the woods and everything. Much more clear than cb's. Especially when busting each other's balls.

16 minutes ago, BEASTY said:

Look up gmrs. We use them in NJJC and they seem to be great. At the private property we were at. You could be way out and still reach the house through the woods and everything. Much more clear than cb's. Especially when busting each other's balls.

GRMS doesn't seem to have the programmability or channel selection, but I'm just learning.  We seem to agree that CB's suck.  To hell with 50 year old tech.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, kobbs_77 said:

GRMS doesn't seem to have the programmability or channel selection, but I'm just learning.  We seem to agree that CB's suck.  To hell with 50 year old tech.

I'm looking forward to trying them out. I scored two during prime day, so I'll have an extra for the trails 

I'm looking forward to trying them out. I scored two during prime day, so I'll have an extra for the trails 

Night and day difference. I'm looking to pick up an ear piece and mic. Dan does that and keeps it in his pocket.

1 hour ago, BEASTY said:

Night and day difference. I'm looking to pick up an ear piece and mic. Dan does that and keeps it in his pocket.

I want to get a car adapter too

I want to get a car adapter too

I just use a 12v use like for my phone charges that way. I used mine for 2 days no charging. Plus I just carry a set of aa just in case the chargeable ones die I've got those.

For some reason quoting is not working for me right now.

There's a lot of regulations designed at protecting the airwaves.  Some of them make sense, some of them not so much.

Those dual-band radios on Amazon have the ability to transmit on Amateur 2m and 70cm bands, GMRS and some adjacent BRS bands.  That doesn't mean it is legal to use them for GMRS or BRS, as these services require that the radio be pre-programmed to the appropriate channel or channels (FCC Part 90 rules) and not be able to be reprogrammed in the field.  Since neither Amateur nor GMRS license can be shared in the way used by JKX, I assume that JKX has a BRS license (Business Radio Service).

Practically speaking, someone would need to inspect the radio you're using to determine if it was in Channel or Variable Frequency mode.  So the chance of being fined for using a Baofeng or similar radio on GMRS or BRS is remote.  Furthermore, the GMRS has become so polluted in most parts of the country through availability of cheap radios without any enforcement of licensing that it's also pretty remote that you'd be caught operating without a license.  However, if you operate on a restricted 2M or 70cm band, there is a much greater chance of getting caught, because Hams tend to be very protective of their bandwidth and will frequently coordinate to identify the violator and report him to the FCC.  Of course someone needs to hear you to try to identify you, so less a chance in Alaska than in NJ.

So if you get a programmable radio off Amazon make sure you set it up for GMRS channels and you probably won't ever have a problem.  But also know that the FCC can fine you $10k for transmitting on an unlicensed frequency.  I have several Baofeng UV-82C radios that can be locked in Channel mode if I need to operate on GMRS, or unlocked if I want to communicate on 2M or 70cm.  They are reasonably good radios, particularly for the price.  Used them with my daughter on the drive back and forth to Maine.  Much more compact and clear than CB, and the batteries in the handheld unit lasted almost the entire 18hr round trip without recharging.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, kobbs_77 said:

I'm sure Bump is gonna be all over me, but Commercial Band VHF/UHF radios, or what the West Coast folks call "Race Radios", are the bomb, and waaaay better than CB is on the trail or at speed.  If I had my way, any group I lead would have them.  Comms, spotting in particular, A LOT easier.  No muss, no fuss and cheap! We had a borrowed one and they were just way better than CB in keeping the group in communication.

Agreed.

I would grab a 5W in a heart beat if I knew anyone else was using one.

18 hours ago, kobbs_77 said:

2 hours ago, Phoenix said:

Agreed.

I would grab a 5W in a heart beat if I knew anyone else was using one.

8W complete kit with large battery $63  https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-BF-F8HP-Two-Way-136-174MHz-400-520MHz/dp/B00MAULSOK/ref=dp_ob_title_wld

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R7LXR7S/ref=crt_ewc_img_gw_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1IGF4J2EDI4OA

I have actually had this sitting in my cart in amazon for about a month.  Not sure if these will replace my cb (as just about everyone has a cb), but if the range is better than it might be nice to keep one as a backup in case I find myself out of CB range. Provided that another member of the group has one I can communicate with.

Thinking of times like when we got separated at Bald Eagle it would help out.  Just need to figure out how to program and use these things.

Moved these posts into their own thread for easier reference.

I was thinking with RTC coming up, we could maybe all come up with a frequency bank / system that would be the most practical to jump on and then figure out radios.  

A goal would be to have one radio per group capable of group to group communications.

Moved these posts into their own thread for easier reference.

I was thinking with RTC coming up, we could maybe all come up with a frequency bank / system that would be the most practical to jump on and then figure out radios.  

A goal would be to have one radio per group capable of group to group communications.

I have 30, 16-channel radios all programmed alike to legal freq that you can use for rtc if you want. I know I never have time to wheel, but I'll help where I can. Lmk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

43 minutes ago, MJHomebrew said:

I have 30, 16-channel radios all programmed alike to legal freq that you can use for rtc if you want. I know I never have time to wheel, but I'll help where I can. Lmk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does this mean that you'll be there?  

On 8/3/2016 at 9:13 AM, jdam said:

I bought one of those last year and it wasn't as good as the 5W radios.  I have some UV-82's now and a BTech mobile unit.  I used the BTech during WFTW to talk to GMRS and it worked fine.

Now, to hopefully simplify some of all this, are all of these handheld ham radios overkill for the majority on here just looking for a step up from cb communications?

My goal at this point, using Rock the Clock as an example, would be to choose a radio system capable of clear, in-group communications as well as the ability for group to group communications throughout the park.  I'm kinda thinking a business style radio system like @MJHomebrew offered up might be the best solution.

Now, as far as far reaching communications for future travel, then yes I do want to dive into the world of Ham and licensing, probably with a mobile radio setup.  

@Bump and @Feuerdog as the 2 radio nerds, what is your thoughts?

I will be so happy when someone posts a "buy this radio" for RTC link that costs under $100 and won't get me fined $10k for using. I have no desire (yet) to learn the nuances of radio licensing, frequency restrictions, bandwidth allocations, etc. I may only be speaking for myself, but I like the fact that with CB you can buy a $50 kit, select a channel, and talk with relative reliability with your group without fear of being harassed by the FCC.

So, point me to a radio, tell me what frequency to use, and give me a reasonable assurance that it's legal and we're golden.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Kindred said:

I will be so happy when someone posts a "buy this radio" for RTC link that costs under $100 and won't get me fined $10k for using. I have no desire (yet) to learn the nuances of radio licensing, frequency restrictions, bandwidth allocations, etc. I may only be speaking for myself, but I like the fact that with CB you can buy a $50 kit, select a channel, and talk with relative reliability with your group without fear of being harassed by the FCC.

So, point me to a radio, tell me what frequency to use, and give me a reasonable assurance that it's legal and we're golden.

Kinda what I am hoping to to.  For the general attendee, a cb should be perfect.  For me organizing the event, I'm looking for a step up that can allow me to reach out to each trail guide if needed and allow trail guides to speak to each other if needed for trail selection, condition reports, to avoid two groups at the same obstacles at the same time, etc.

• Like 2