Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kobbs_77

Bike Carriers for Big Tires

5 posts in this topic

I needed a bike carrier for my Jeep and took my time reviewing the options.  I still wanted to be able to open the tailgate without any fuss.  You have a carrier that mounts to the spare tire lugs, carriers that hang off of the spare, tray-type carriers and the receiver mounted carriers.  The Thule units that mount to the spare tire carrier lugs are drilled for 5 lugs and expensive and I'd have to find a new home for my license plate.  The carriers that hang off the spare won't fit a 40, though Hollywood has a big tire kit that will fit a 37".  The tray type carriers are just really expensive and I want to leave the carrier on there as I'm on the bike just about every day now.  There are a lot of hitch mounted carriers out there, but my concern was that they'd sway and rattle for a few reasons: 1) I thought 'd have to use an extension to clear the 40, and 2) most of the units are built to work with 1 1/4" receivers and you have to use an adapter to work with a 2" receiver.  Having to use both an extension and an adapter just seems sub-optimal.  One positive is that the Teraflex carrier keeps the spare as tight to the tailgate as is possible.

After much looking around, I actually found something on Quadratec that works perfectly at the right price.  http://www.quadratec.com/products/92034_1000_07.htm

It fully clears the tire without an extension or any mods, and pivots down just enough for the tailgate to open fully.  Instead of a hitch pin, it uses a large bolt which threads through the insert on the passenger side.  It snugs the insert inside the receiver so it can't rattle.  The kit comes with throwaway hand wrenches but they work and I keep one in the Jeep in case I need some roadside tightening.  If you had an impact, you could have the bolt out in 3 seconds.  No rattles, very sable and secure.  All in all, I highly recommend and the price is right at $129.  The 4 bike carrier is a few dollars more.

WP_20161001_17_32_42_Pro.jpg

WP_20161001_17_32_53_Pro.jpg

Edited by kobbs_77
1 person likes this

I'll offer up another option. I don't recall how much I paid for it but I can vouch for its performance. 

When I first moved to NC we started riding some trails that required traveling fire roads and after a couple trips I was uncomfortable with my spare mounted carrier with 4-5K worth of bikes on it so I bought this Saris. It mounts in a standard 2" receiver and uses a bolt so that it doesn't rattle. I added the LED so that people could still see my lights with bikes on the carrier. It folds up when not in use and I'm pretty sure in a standard receiver it would clear the gate without a bike on it. It is very easy to load bikes on and it will hold everything from a kids bike to a full on fat tire down hill. You can also add a 2 bike extension to it if needed. 

Here is a link to the current version on REI. Saris Bike RackMcPwnq350Je-JkUSdRbm7JXFOjJ09WHIjAPRLPsg

1 person likes this

Four bills is steep, but if you can get it on sale, I'm sure it's manageable.  I feel the same way about the spare mounted unit too.  Probably could have fabbed up something really secure, but I'm happy.

I'm addicted to this bike stuff.  Riding every day except for a recent storm (the rain doesn't bother me, the steady 23 mph winds off the ocean were another story).   About to get a fat tire so I can run the beach which is 5 min from my house.  The kayak is going to go away soon, because, you know, the risk for hypothermia and all if you dump it, but I need this to avoid indoor cardio for as long as possible.  Plus, being on the bike at sunrise is better than coffee to start the day.  A sunset ride ain't a bad way to end the day either.

Edited by kobbs_77
2 people like this

3 hours ago, kobbs_77 said:

Four bills is steep, but if you can get it on sale, I'm sure it's manageable.  I feel the same way about the spare mounted unit too.  Probably could have fabbed up something really secure, but I'm happy.

I'm addicted to this bike stuff.  Riding every day except for a recent storm (the rain doesn't bother me, the steady 23 mph winds off the ocean were another story).   About to get a fat tire so I can run the beach which is 5 min from my house.  The kayak is going to go away soon, because, you know, the risk for hypothermia and all if you dump it, but I need this to avoid indoor cardio for as long as possible.  Plus, being on the bike at sunrise is better than coffee to start the day.  A sunset ride ain't a bad way to end the day either.

Dam straight I really need to get back on mine. I'm planning to as the weather starts changing. I'm not gonna do the stuff I did before but I'm looking forward to getting back out. 

18 hours ago, ABadJeeper said:

Dam straight I really need to get back on mine. I'm planning to as the weather starts changing. I'm not gonna do the stuff I did before but I'm looking forward to getting back out. 

Yeah.  John Vogt convinced me to try some mountain stuff this morning.  Early AM = wet.  Did an endo going down hill but ended up on my feet.  You know, Vogt was there when I rolled the Jeep too.  I'm starting to wonder.

Edited by kobbs_77
4 people like this