Disconnected Offroad

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mike

FuelpaX Over Rotopax?

7 posts in this topic

Rotopax came out with a new product line, FuelpaX.  It's basically a Rotopax with thinner side walls and a much lower price point.  Plus, you get a higher volume of gas.  A 3.5 gallon FuelpaX is selling for $39.95 with the same warranty as a Rotopax.

I'm thinking that these might be a very viable option for those mounting their fuel in a more secure location, less prone to making contact with rocks, trees, etc.

http://rotopax.com/fuelpax

6 minutes ago, Mike said:

Rotopax came out with a new product line, FuelpaX.  It's basically a Rotopax with thinner side walls and a much lower price point.  Plus, you get a higher volume of gas.  A 3.5 gallon FuelpaX is selling for $39.95 with the same warranty as a Rotopax.

I'm thinking that these might be a very viable option for those mounting their fuel in a more secure location, less prone to making contact with rocks, trees, etc.

http://rotopax.com/fuelpax

Sounds like someone thinks it is a good idea to compete on price point

1 minute ago, Phoenix said:

Sounds like someone thinks it is a good idea to compete on price point

I'm thinking for situations for someone like you, you can spend $89.95 for a 2 gallon Rotopax, or spend $39.95 for a 3.5 gallon FuelpaX that you could mount on the interior of the trailer, with a far less chance of contact.  Hauling 7 extra gallons of fuel buy carrying 2 Fuelpax can get you somewhere.  Spending over a hundred to get 1 or 2 extra gallons seems not as practical.  Low gallons isn't going to extend your range and I'm thinking it would be a lot of poor planning if you only needed a gallon of gas to get you out of the woods.  

Time will tell.  The Rotopax can take some serious abuse.  We used them nearly every day in AK.  One guy lost the key to his Rotopax mount locking handle.  Someone trying to help (a race car driver) did puncture it after hella abuse and different kinds of tools, which was unfortunate since they were mounted on the guy's roof and he had fuel all over the roof and dripping down the sides.  I'd never mount them externally on a trail Jeep, but like Klink said, if they were protected, sure, save a few bucks.  That said, the 3.5 Fuelpax looks like a different form factor than the 2, 3.5 or 4 gal rotopax so you might not be able to mix and match with existing cans and mounts, though it's hard to tell from the photo and without dimensions.  I also wonder if they're rotomolded or use a less expensive process like blow molding.

2 hours ago, kobbs_77 said:

Time will tell.  The Rotopax can take some serious abuse.  We used them nearly every day in AK.  One guy lost the key to his Rotopax mount locking handle.  Someone trying to help (a race car driver) did puncture it after hella abuse and different kinds of tools, which was unfortunate since they were mounted on the guy's roof and he had fuel all over the roof and dripping down the sides.  I'd never mount them externally on a trail Jeep, but like Klink said, if they were protected, sure, save a few bucks.  That said, the 3.5 Fuelpax looks like a different form factor than the 2, 3.5 or 4 gal rotopax so you might not be able to mix and match with existing cans and mounts, though it's hard to tell from the photo and without dimensions.  I also wonder if they're rotomolded or use a less expensive process like blow molding.

They do make a FuelpaX branded mount that does look pretty famn close to the rotopax.  I might have to make a call.

Jerry cans (5 gallon capacity) $27.  I have two with a spout $12.

$66 for 10 gallons of capacity.

12 hours ago, Phoenix said:

Jerry cans (5 gallon capacity) $27.  I have two with a spout $12.

$66 for 10 gallons of capacity.

Best of all you can still get non-CARB spouts for Jerry cans.