Mike

Trans New Jersey Trail

26 posts in this topic

I am going to start planning a run to do the Trans New Jersey Trail, a collection of roads that will take you off pavement for over 450 miles from High Point NJ to the Cape May Lighthouse.   This trial system was mapped out by Enduro riders and currently Northeast Expeditions has converted their maps to be more suv friendly. 

Thinking about a November trip or maybe spring. 

4 people like this

Screenshot_20161008-193700.png

1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, Mike said:

I am going to start planning a run to do the Trans New Jersey Trail, a collection of roads that will take you off pavement for over 450 miles from High Point NJ to the Cape May Lighthouse.   This trial system was mapped out by Enduro riders and currently Northeast Expeditions has converted their maps to be more suv friendly. 

Thinking about a November trip or maybe spring. 

There's 450 miles between cape may and high point? Sounds interesting. 

33 minutes ago, bigtom said:

There's 450 miles between cape may and high point? Sounds interesting. 

There is if you don't drive any straight lines

1 person likes this

Sounds good

Pissing off my wife since way back

Very interested in this, if your looking for any company I'm in for at least some of the trip. I could possibly meet at a campsite or something.

I'd be up for this is the Jeep cooperates

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Do you have maps?  I'd love to do this, but the trails I know from High Point (and even up into PA) are closed to MV's.  

8 hours ago, Bump said:

Do you have maps?  I'd love to do this, but the trails I know from High Point (and even up into PA) are closed to MV's.  

I don't have the maps to make it full size friendly yet.  The trail itself is mapped out for Enduro riders, but the guy I was talking to tweaked the routes to allow for full size access.  This of course, unfortunately, means there is some pavement involved to get around off limited areas. 

Here's the base material to base this trip on.

TNJT.zip

12 hours ago, Urban guerrilla said:

Hey what are the odds we get a feeler trip planned for mid november?

I might be able to pull off at least one section of this as a test run in November. 

Downloaded the map earlier today. Was thinking about running the purple section to see how it is, shouldnt be too bad.

1 person likes this

Hey I ran the yellow portion of the tnjt today, took about an 1hr 40mins. I'd rate the entire trail at a 1 or 1.5 difficulty. The only problem was one section was completely gone and impassible. I have outlined it with a red box.

20161030-13.45.28.jpg

Really beautiful out there this time of year 

Wonder if this can be completed in a long weekend? Might be a really nice trip for December.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, Gruf said:

Wonder if this can be completed in a long weekend? Might be a really nice trip for December.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Based on the criss crossing pic urban guerilla put up I'd say there are ways to reduce the miles

9 minutes ago, bigtom said:

Based on the criss crossing pic urban guerilla put up I'd say there are ways to reduce the miles

Absolutely 

Hey everyone, glad to see there's so much interest in the "legal and accessible" version of the TNJT that I created. I use to be Northeast Expeditions, but now the account has became my personal account and I currently run Mid-Atlantic Expeditions. 

Now about the trail. I took the KML files created by the enduro riders and began to prerun and reroute the trail, making it 4x4 friendly. During the time of doing this, the Department of Environmental Protection and Environmental Protection Agency was starting to shut down roads and trails throughout the Pine Barrens. I worked around these closures to make the trail possible still. I also worked around a lot of the private property, illegal areas (these are areas deemed illegal by the DEP and EPA), and rerouted around locked gates. The trail is comprised of paved backroads, gravel roads, and dirt trails. There is no definite "all dirt" path throughout the length of NJ. Take the trail for what it is, a perfect trail for beginner overlanders. I've said this before and I'll say it again and again, the trail can be completed in an awd Subaru if you have decent driving skills in sand and don't mind a few water holes/crossings here and there. 

I recently just finished completing the trail, in one 4 day weekend, myself. The trail is only passable during the "in" season between April 1st and November 1st. A few of the parks and roads in the northern part of the trail have locked gates during the winter months. I recently tried to visit High Point State Park in March and the park was gated and locked due to not being open for season. 

I have created a website for my version of the TNJT and I plan to add more info onto it. My version of the file will be in a .gpx format. After my recent run of the route, I was having issues with the file size being a bit too large. I am currently reducing the file to three individual files, a north, central, and south section of the route. I plan on having the files listed on the site for $20 each or a bundle pack of all three for $50. The bundle pack may include a patch and decals. Still working all of that out. I hope to finalize this in the next month.

if you have any questions or want more info, just ask! Thanks!

6 people like this

@Xplorer313 posted the 1st video from this.

2 people like this

Are there plans to do this trip? I would be interested.

Ryan

8 hours ago, JeeperJK16 said:

Are there plans to do this trip? I would be interested.

Ryan

Stream of consciousness planning,

it's Mother's day and I have to be in the office tomorrow

The rest of the Month and June is filled with grad, father's day, and family stuff.

July and August in the Pine Barrens....  Bugs.

September?  Two are off to college, it may be cooler enough to kill some bugs, I think September.

Anyone want to do this in September?  Weekend of the 22nd or 29th?

2 people like this

2 hours ago, Phoenix said:

Stream of consciousness planning,

it's Mother's day and I have to be in the office tomorrow

The rest of the Month and June is filled with grad, father's day, and family stuff.

July and August in the Pine Barrens....  Bugs.

September?  Two are off to college, it may be cooler enough to kill some bugs, I think September.

Anyone want to do this in September?  Weekend of the 22nd or 29th?

Not the 29th weekend. Got a event that will be announced soon.

im interested also. 

1 person likes this