Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HEAVYMETAL

6.5 Grendel

45 posts in this topic

I picked up another lower and the 6.5 Grendel has sparked my interest. Other than being slightly pricey and uncommon, the ballistics and accuracy out to 1000 yards look awesome. The cartridge seems to be gaining a following due to its capabilities and the fact you can fire it through the AR15 platform. Anyone have experience with the Grendel? Rather than owning another 5.56 chambered rifle I think I'm going to build a long range, sub MOA, Grendel chambered rifle.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Anyway. Let's get back to an intelligent discussion. I'm sure Adam and Rick will chime in soon regarding choice in caliber.

Nothing wrong with multiple hobbies and being an enthusiast of any one doesn't make one a snob. 

Sadly, I've zero experience with the Grendel, but I like what you're thinking. I like the idea of the Grendel as it would make for a badass AR-15.  I've been toying with the idea of a 6.5 Creedmoor, but that's going to be a bigger heavier AR-10.

1 person likes this

Nothing wrong with multiple hobbies and being an enthusiast of any one doesn't make one a snob. 

Sadly, I've zero experience with the Grendel, but I like what you're thinking. I like the idea of the Grendel as it would make for a badass AR-15.  I've been toying with the idea of a 6.5 Creedmoor, but that's going to be a bigger heavier AR-10.

Expensive is a relative term in both the jeep and firearm world. The AR10 platform tends to be uber expensive compared to the the AR15 (think d44 vs d60). The amount of AR15 components is unreal right now. Eventually I will build a .308/7.62 rifle. I can build the Grendel for around $1000 using middle road hardware. The 7.62 looks to be right around $2000 using the same logic.

I would assume that the 7.62 rounds will be far cheaper and readily available making the savings on the build a little less drastic over time as well.

I would assume that the 7.62 rounds will be far cheaper and readily available making the savings on the build a little less drastic over time as well.

Availability is better for 7.62.

1 hour ago, Iggy said:

6.5 Grendel and .308 are actually about the same price.  I'm usually not a big fan of AR's is weird calibers, but the 6.5 Grendel seems to be a pretty good round. Real similar to a .308 out to 500-600 yards and way less recoil 

2 people like this

3 hours ago, Spedly said:

6.5 Grendel and .308 are actually about the same price.  I'm usually not a big fan of AR's is weird calibers, but the 6.5 Grendel seems to be a pretty good round. Real similar to a .308 out to 500-600 yards and way less recoil 

Good to know.  I thought the 6.5 would be more difficult to find. 

1 person likes this

Good to know.  I thought the 6.5 would be more difficult to find. 

There's only a handful of manufacturers loading them right now. Price wise they are coming down alot. I'm hoping more companies will start producing it further to help reduce the price further.

I picked up a Hogue grip and lower parts kit today. While concentrating on the lower I started researching different fire control groups. I'm really interested in a 2 stage trigger for this build. If you're unfamiliar with single vs 2 stage tiggers take a look on YouTube. It seems like the 2 stage greatly improves accuracy on long range rifles. With that said the CMC 2 stage drop in(2lb take up/2lb break) has made it to the top on my list so far. The reviews look great but before I drop the coin I'd like to test one first. I'm sure it's years better than a Mil Spec, but if I'm dumping out some coin I want to touch it first.

The lower finally showed up today. dc9f0f112e0d673ad09924e718682ca0.jpg

1 person likes this

As far as the Grendel 6.5 goes I don't know a lot about it....but I do really like the 300 blackout if I was just getting into the AR Platform it would be my round of choice, it can be loaded for subsonic (suppressor)(300 whisper) for CQB or it can be loaded for supersonic (500 meters) the blackout is the militaries answerer to the 7.62 without making a lot of changes to an AR (I believe the only thing that needs to be changed is the barrel , you can still use the same mags as the 5.56/223) The only reason I'm not building an AR chambered in 300 is because I already own an AK & an AR with a number rounds well over 2k for both platforms.

My $0.02

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 9:41 AM, HEAVYMETAL said:

I picked up a Hogue grip and lower parts kit today. While concentrating on the lower I started researching different fire control groups. I'm really interested in a 2 stage trigger for this build. If you're unfamiliar with single vs 2 stage tiggers take a look on YouTube. It seems like the 2 stage greatly improves accuracy on long range rifles. With that said the CMC 2 stage drop in(2lb take up/2lb break) has made it to the top on my list so far. The reviews look great but before I drop the coin I'd like to test one first. I'm sure it's years better than a Mil Spec, but if I'm dumping out some coin I want to touch it first.

Call me old fashion in all my builds I've used the ALG (ACT) 2 stage trigger. I got used to the pull 4 to 5 lbs of the military trigger that if I go too much lighter it gets to easy. I also polish my triggers before I install them which doesn't effect the pull weight much but does make for a smoother pull.

Call me old fashion in all my builds I've used the ALG (ACT) trigger. I got used to the pull 4 to 5 lbs of the military trigger that if I go too much lighter it gets to easy. I also polish my triggers before I install them which doesn't effect the pull weight much but does make for a smoother pull.

I ordered a Timney 3lb single stage a few days ago. I'm changing some ideas around on this rifle already.

As far as 300blk goes, we can't run a suppressor in Communist NJ. One of the appealing things about the 300 is running sub sonic suppressed. My MP is getting a barrel change from 5.56 NATO to .223 Wylde. I'm still trying to convince myself to build a long range AR. With so many sweet bolt guns available I may make this guy a short self defense rifle.

12 minutes ago, HEAVYMETAL said:

I ordered a Timney 3lb single stage a few days ago. I'm changing some ideas around on this rifle already.

As far as 300blk goes, we can't run a suppressor in Communist NJ. One of the appealing things about the 300 is running sub sonic suppressed. My MP is getting a barrel change from 5.56 NATO to .223 Wylde. I'm still trying to convince myself to build a long range AR. With so many sweet bolt guns available I may make this guy a short self defense rifle.

If you are going CQB then single stage is a quicker trigger but you probably already know that. What you really need to do is a ghost then there is no limits...lol only joking

1 person likes this

..lol only joking

Or are you? Lol

I've been debating going QCB with this. Bolt action is inherently more accurate at long distance and that's the way I've been leaning.

16 hours ago, HEAVYMETAL said:

Or are you? Lol

I've been debating going QCB with this. Bolt action is inherently more accurate at long distance and that's the way I've been leaning.

300 yds is as far as I want to go, I don't think I'll ever be in the situation where I'll need to go further. I can do 300 with either platform AR or AK. That being said if I did want to reach out and touch someone I'd also lean towards a bolt. 

1 person likes this

300 is as far as we go at my club. Down in Cumberland there is a 600 yard range.

Lately I've only been going out to 100 yds at my buddies property. The problem with that is his family is selling the property. I did join a new range not yet finished being built, www.guardiantraingcenter.com  I was able to secure a VIP Membership for the cost of a Gold membership. The membership includes Static & Dynamic shooting, as well as private shooting lanes. They have a shoot house that can be configured in any layout as well as an elevator for different scenarios. It should be finished being built in December I'm actually a little pumped up for it.

90% of the time we shoot 100 also. 300 is mostly bench rest and prone. I've been practicing 200 yard off hand for a NRA High Powered competition with a buddy. I absolutely suck at offhand at a 200 yard distance.

when I was in the corps we started at the 200, standing off hand and kneeling, then we went to the 300 for kneeling & sitting, then it was 500 prone...all iron sites I don't think I could do 300 or 500 now without a scope...lol

5bcd6e104d73fca6605428f2b1d9c8cd.jpg

Anderson lower and upper

Timney 3lb trigger

Magpul MOE stock

Anderson buffer tube, spring and buffer

Hogue ergo grip

KNS anti roll pins

CMMG lower parts hardware

Seeking 15" flat top keymod free float handgaurd will be here next Saturday.

Failzero nickel boron BCG in the mail somewhere?

Still debating on caliber. I may pick up a .223 Wylde barrel from Rise Armament.

Upper, lower and handgaurd will be done in Cerakote Tungsten with black furniture.

1 person likes this

Wow a better build thread then your jeep.

3 hours ago, BEASTY said:
Wow a better build thread then your jeep.

You talk to fucking much.

Go start your own build thread

Hahaha

This is why you don't wheel.

On 10/16/2016 at 2:58 PM, BEASTY said:
This is why you don't wheel.

I have more than one hobby, liberal.

If I had to choose between the 2, firearms would probably win honestly.

On 10/16/2016 at 4:08 PM, HEAVYMETAL said:
If I had to choose between the 2, firearms would probably win honestly.

Yeah, we all can tell all of a sudden you're a gun snob. And we all have more than one hobby we just don't announce it to everyone.

:thefinger:

On 10/16/2016 at 6:43 PM, BEASTY said:
Yeah, we all can tell all of a sudden you're a gun snob. And we all have more than one hobby we just don't announce it to everyone.

:thefinger:

Sorta like how you announce everytime you walk past your jeep? Yeah kinda like that.

On 10/16/2016 at 6:44 PM, HEAVYMETAL said:
Sorta like how you announce everytime you walk past your jeep? Yeah kinda like that.

Or how you're single handily going to change everyone's opinion on the 2nd amendment. Hahaha.

On 10/16/2016 at 8:49 PM, BEASTY said:
Or how you're single handily going to change everyone's opinion on the 2nd amendment. Hahaha.

You can't help a liberal. If guns scare them so much they can move to Australia.

On 10/16/2016 at 9:02 PM, HEAVYMETAL said:
You can't help a liberal. If guns scare them so much they can move to Australia.

You are so wrong it's funny. If no one agrees with you they are a liberal. When have I ever said I don't like guns. You are becoming more like Hillary everyday.

On 10/16/2016 at 9:05 PM, BEASTY said:
You are so wrong it's funny. If no one agrees with you they are a liberal. When have I ever said I don't like guns. You are becoming more like Hillary everyday.

If I remember you're the one who walked into this thread and starting shitting? It was only a few hours ago, there's no way you forgot. This is a special interest thread. If you have no interest in the topic, no need to "contribute."

And for the record, I don't really think you are a liberal.

4 people like this

Merging all the off topic posts onto one. 

Keep it on topic 

1 person likes this

Merging all the off topic posts onto one. 

Keep it on topic 

You can delete all that nonsense if you wish.