Disconnected Offroad

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dan

The rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated

Yep, Dan is still live and kickin. Got a few questions for my gearhead gurus.

I've contracted a wicked case of death wobble - did the stabilizer bandaid a few times but it's gotten so bad that it has thrashed my entire front end to such an extent that my Jeep (yes, Perry, I still own my Jeep) is no longer safely drive-able.

I've got to replace pretty much every tie rod end., draglink and bushing, front axle seals, u joints and swaybar bushings..Gonna be a spendy week.  

But on to my question:

If I'm replacing all of my tie rod ends, what the hell is a complete list? I think this guy may have missed a few components in his estimate and don't want to be surprised. I'm planning on stopping into quadratec and showing up at his shop with a Jeep full of parts. 

Also, IIRC, Perry mentioned that since I lifted the Jeep, but never upgraded the front end control arms, this could be a contributing factor to my steering geometry being so far out of whack. Not sure I can afford uppers and lowers, so is there a way to replace one and not the other? 

I'll check back in a little while. Gotta head out to my BATL practice  - That's Backyard Axe Throwing League for the uninitiated. 

Oh, and I also need new tires ( my old duratracs have 75K on them and currently resemble racing slicks). I'm looking at the BFG AT's - anyone have em? Like em / hate em?

Ball Joints, bro.  All the rod ends in the world won't help if they're shot.  If you want to one and done them, the Dynatrac ProSteers are where it's at.  Rebuildable without having to press out the old and press in the new.

Ball Joints, bro.  All the rod ends in the world won't help if they're shot.  If you want to one and done them, the Dynatrac ProSteers are where it's at.  Rebuildable without having to press out the old and press in the new.

d630747716acfc040c56788b69258209.jpg

41 minutes ago, Bump said:

4-steering-stabilizers.jpg

Is that from the lost offroad page?  :lipssealed:

59 minutes ago, Bump said:

Ballin'. I would be very sad bending all four if those after wheeling for about 10 minutes. Not to mention 50% of the cost of a hydro setup.

On Saturday, November 12, 2016 at 1:48 PM, bigtom said:

Lowers and I have a set (synergy) I could sell you.

How much are you looking to get gor them? Shoot me a txt. Also, I lost all my phone numbers when my old phone crapped the bed, so let me know its you when you txt. 

On Saturday, November 12, 2016 at 2:45 PM, kobbs_77 said:

Just had them done about 10k miles ago and haven't done any wheelin in literally years. They shouldnt be shot yet. Still...food for thought, considering it was globex that did them last time. 

On Monday, November 14, 2016 at 10:24 PM, Bump said:

:barf emoji:

On Sunday, November 13, 2016 at 8:56 AM, Newmango said:

What size tires you looking to get?

I need a legit 35"  

Looking at Micket Thompson exo grapplers or BFG KO2'S. 

Need to get this Jeeps highway manners back in line. 

3 minutes ago, Dan said:

Just had them done about 10k miles ago and haven't done any wheelin in literally years. They shouldnt be shot yet. Still...food for thought, considering it was globex that did them last time. 

If you've been having death wobble it's highly likely you wore out those BJ's as well as your hubs.

On 11/14/2016 at 11:06 PM, Mike said:

Is that from the lost offroad page?  :lipssealed:

That or Jeep Flow.  Can't tell for sure without pics of the angry grill.

1 minute ago, Bump said:

If you've been having death wobble it's highly likely you wore out those BJ's as well as your hubs.

Crap. 

38 minutes ago, Dan said:

Apparenlty, Synergy ball joints have not been holding up well lately as in failing within a year on DD's.   That's the word I get.  Globex has moved almost exclusively to Dynatrac Prosteers. 

Apparenlty, Synergy ball joints have not been holding up well lately as in failing within a year on DD's.   That's the word I get.  Globex has moved almost exclusively to Dynatrac Prosteers. 

Mine didn't last for shit.

11 minutes ago, kobbs_77 said:

Craaaap

8 minutes ago, Trunk Monkey said:

Mine didn't last for shit.

Craaaaaaaaaaap!

2 hours ago, Dan said:

Craaaaaaaaaaap!

yeah, I'd have to do some facebook picture research to figure out how long I got out of them but it wasn't much.  The wife drives the Jeep about 50 highway miles a day.  Nascar pressed them in and I maintained them regularly as well.  Ryan just pressed in a set of Dynatrac Pro Steer's for me a few months ago, this way I can just rebuild them myself.  Only drawback is the rebuild kit is the same price as a standard set. 

That's kinda discouraging. I dont have new balljoints in the budget this time around, but if they're shot, I guess I'll have to find a way or end up replacing everything all over again. 

Track bar was the main culprit in my case too. After changing out the stock arms I'm riding a lot better too. I forgot to text you I'll do it tomorrow. 

11 hours ago, BEASTY said:

Start with track bar. Always been my issue

Guess I'll add that to the growing list of repair/replace parts.