Disconnected Offroad

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dan

The rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated

Just to update anyone who gives a damn. Trackbar was good to go,.just needed some grease and a tweak. Apparently, my DW was mostly due to my bald, unbalanced tires. Once I replaced all the parts it beat the shit out of,  added the LCA's I got from Big Tom and added the BFG A/T's, handling got way better. 

There's still a dead spot in the middle of my steering that needs to go. From wjat I'm hearing, that's due to my intermediate shaft in the steering column having shot U-joints, so that got added to the list. But the most pressing repair will be the front drive shaft. CV joint is no longer playing nicely with others. 

Shop is telling me you cant rebuild the CV joint. That true or is it just a pain to do and they dont want to do it?

Anyway.anybody got a stock front shaft lyinf around?

2 hours ago, Dan said:

Just to update anyone who gives a damn. Trackbar was good to go,.just needed some grease and a tweak. Apparently, my DW was mostly due to my bald, unbalanced tires. Once I replaced all the parts it beat the shit out of,  added the LCA's I got from Big Tom and added the BFG A/T's, handling got way better. 

There's still a dead spot in the middle of my steering that needs to go. From wjat I'm hearing, that's due to my intermediate shaft in the steering column having shot U-joints, so that got added to the list. But the most pressing repair will be the front drive shaft. CV joint is no longer playing nicely with others. 

Shop is telling me you cant rebuild the CV joint. That true or is it just a pain to do and they dont want to do it?

My front shaft was in brand new shape, but then I have it to @Ericbg83 who, raped it, abused it, and left it for dead on the side of the road just like he does with all of the Jaxon's Jeep Club groupies he's been tearing up.  

Stock shaft? If so they can't be rebuilt. But I'm pretty sure if it's an aftermarket it could be.

38 minutes ago, Dan said:

Crap. Looks like it's a Tom Woods shaft. 

If it's a Tom Woods Shaft it can be rebuilt. Any driveshaft should be able to take care of fixing it for you.

1 hour ago, ABadJeeper said:

If it's a Tom Woods Shaft it can be rebuilt. Any driveshaft should be able to take care of fixing it for 

1 hour ago, ABadJeeper said:

If it's a Tom Woods Shaft it can be rebuilt. Any driveshaft should be able to take care of fixing it for you.

Sorry, I wasnt being clear: 

I mean I'll need to BUY a Tom Woods shaft so that if I ever need to, I can rebuild it. 

Sorry, I wasnt being clear: 

I mean I'll need to BUY a Tom Woods shaft so that if I ever need to, I can rebuild it. 

Take a look at Adams drive shafts.

10 hours ago, Dan said:

You can re-do the CV joint with this kit:  https://teraflex.com/shop_items/55c3f57205a25c5bb1173c17

I pretty much only install Adams shafts any more. I have had a couple TW's break. Adams have been great and the one issue I had with a  customers jeep was made right very quick.

I destroyed a couple of Tom Woods shafts.   I run JE Reel's now and will not look elsewhere. I have yet to bend one of their .188 wall shafts, and I've tried.

I destroyed a couple of Tom Woods shafts.   I run JE Reel's now and will not look elsewhere. I have yet to bend one of their .188 wall shafts, and I've tried.

ThAt would be my next choice from what I've read. I bought a Adams cert for a rear 1310 for $100 so when the time came for a front 1310 I went with Adams again to satisfy my OCD. Otherwise I would've went with a Reel.