Disconnected Offroad
Sign in to follow this  
kobbs_77

Wheeler's Overland Adventure - May 18-21 at AOAA

16 posts in this topic

I'm going on this run in May.  4 Days in AOAA.  May 18-21.  More overlanding than rock crawling, but I need to work on my Jeep camping skills anyway.  For one, like how much recovery gear and spares I need to leave home to fit the camping gear. 

Also, Kyle from Rausch Creek is one of the event leaders and there will be workshops and clinics.  At this point, it looks like @GlobexMike, @MudTJ and CJ will be there too.

Any other takers?

http://www.wheelersllc.com/

Edited by kobbs_77
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, kobbs_77 said:

I'm going on this run in May.  4 Days in AOAA.  May 18-21.  More overlanding than rock crawling, but I need to work on my Jeep camping skills anyway.  For one, like how much recovery gear and spares I need to leave home to fit the camping gear. 

Also, Kyle from Rausch Creek is one of the event leaders and there will be workshops and clinics.  At this point, it looks like @GlobexMike, @MudTJ and CJ will be there too.

Any other takers?

I saw it, but it was looking like it was invite only / sponsor rigs?

9 hours ago, kobbs_77 said:

Any other takers?

What is this?? Whats aoaa?

1 hour ago, Jkdad16 said:

What is this?? Whats aoaa?

Camping and wheeling weekend with classes on various outdoor adventure activities. These have become rather popular. 

AOAA is like Rausch creek an offroad park. 

9 hours ago, DTR said:

I'm in if you have room @kobbs_77

I don't have a co-pilot at this point, so diggity :emot-quagmire:

Also, I updated the OP to show the link to the event page.

Edited by kobbs_77
  • Like 1

This section is hidden from [mention=25]HEAVYMETAL[/mention]

I found the back door

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Mike said:

Awaiting a full report @kobbs_77, @DTR, @funjester, and @GlobexMike.

Interested in hearing about what new areas opened up at AOAA and how the new camping area is. 

Can't tell you new versus old, but we had a good time.  Lots of easy stuff, but we found a gnarly black trail on day 1.  Rich has a video posted of a piece of it.  Day 2 Mike wanted to wring out the Taco.  It did really well.  I think it can handle any blue trail there.  Blacks, not so much.  I'd even go so far as to say that the Black trail we ran was a mislabeled Red trails.  Red means there will be body contact in transiting the obstacle. Black trails don't mean that, but there was no way to avoid contact with trees on these Black trails.  Also, AOAA doesn't believe in go arounds just yet.

We didn't get there early enough to get a good camp spot, but some of them looked nice.  We got a rough spot on un-level ground, but I put my tent on Rich's trailer which was just fine. 

In the end, the maps ain't great and I need to spend more time there figuring it out, but there's trails for every level, the vast majority of which are easy...for us.  There were LOTS of quads and dirt bikes all over the place and I can see why Rausch doesn't want them.  It's a nice alternative to Rausch and it looks like there's tough stuff to play on when you find it. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, kobbs_77 said:

Can't tell you new versus old, but we had a good time.  Lots of easy stuff, but we found a gnarly black trail on day 1.  Rich has a video posted of a piece of it.  Day 2 Mike wanted to wring out the Taco.  It did really well.  I think it can handle any blue trail there.  Blacks, not so much.  I'd even go so far as to say that the Black trail we ran was a mislabeled Red trails.  Red means there will be body contact in transiting the obstacle. Black trails don't mean that, but there was no way to avoid contact with trees on these Black trails.  Also, AOAA doesn't believe in go arounds just yet.

We didn't get there early enough to get a good camp spot, but some of them looked nice.  We got a rough spot on un-level ground, but I put my tent on Rich's trailer which was just fine. 

In the end, the maps ain't great and I need to spend more time there figuring it out, but there's trails for every level, the vast majority of which are easy...for us.  There were LOTS of quads and dirt bikes all over the place and I can see why Rausch doesn't want them.  It's a nice alternative to Rausch and it looks like there's tough stuff to play on when you find it. 

Did you wheel the Western reserve? That was still closed the last time we went.

11 hours ago, Mike said:

Did you wheel the Western reserve? That was still closed the last time we went.

Yes.  That's where we found some cool stuff.  But holy shit is it easy to lose track of where you are.  We were deep in the Western Reserve and before you know it, the numbers had us back on the other side.  It's gonna take a few times for me to figure it out.  Might have to buy real GPS for the Jeep and use waypoints like I do on my boat.

• Like 1