Disconnected Offroad
Dean

"One Lap of Michaux State Forest" (Camp, Ride, n' Hike) - June 23-25

14 posts in this topic

For those are are interested, able, and willing... I will be taking point on a camping, hiking, and 4x4'ing weekend around Michaux State Forest in south central Pennsylvania.

Friday Night: Arrive & make camp; socialize around fire pit

Saturday: One Lap of Michaux (Mount Holly Springs to Mont Alto State Park and back to camp) with few short/easy hike to outlooks along the way

Sunday: Piney Mountain Ridge Road & Pole Steeple AT Hike

58c6e87230447_OneLapofMichauxPreview.png.d877c50ffa42299bff28d73b3e83da4e.png

Camping: Primary camping will be at a primitive campsite inside the state forest (TBD depending on group size and site availability).  These sites have NO FACILITIES.  An alternative campsite can be setup at either Pine Grove Furnace State Park or Caledonia State Park both of which have facilities for anyone who is looking for something a little less "rustic."  More than willing to socialize at the primitive site.

Hiking: The Saturday hikes will be short and easy and will be from the road to scenic overlooks or historical sites.  Nothing too crazy just good photo opportunities.  The Sunday hike up to Pole Steeple is a little longer and mild-to-moderate difficulty depending on which way and how fast you hike.  I like to take the Appalachian Trail which is a little longer but less steep than the actual Pole Steeple Trail.  I also tend to hike at a more leisurely pace.  The hike down the Pole Steeple Trail isn't as bad now that they put in switchbacks. (Link to Pole Steeple Trail: https://www.visitcumberlandvalley.com/listing/pole-steeple-trail/1300/)

Riding: The roads of the "One Lap of Michaux" are nothing more than flat dirt and gravel roads.  Nothing off-camber and nothing requiring 4wd.  Speed will be around 25-35 max.  It's 101 miles of scenic forest roads, mountain streams, the occasional scenic vista, and dust... lots of dust if it's dry.  Depending on group size it will be best to split into smaller groups of 3-6 vehicles just to mitigate the dust.  There is a lot of history within Michaux State Forest and I will do my best to play tour-guide for anyone curious.  Might also stop to checkout the Appalachian Trail Museum and the PA Forest Fire Museum if there is enough interest.

Meals:  Meals will be your own responsibility.  Breakfasts and dinners will be in camp with lunch Saturday on the road and lunch Sunday on the trail atop Pole Steeple.

Alcohol: As responsible adults alcohol will be confined to camp with vehicles parked for the night.  Should go without saying but DUI will not be tolerated.

-----

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask!

• Like 1

Definitely interested.  That's my father's birthday weekend so I will have to see what is going on with that first. 

Interested, but the only weekend I have open is May 19 - 21.

Lots of significant birthdays between now and late June, along with graduations.  Things open up for me in the last half of July.

How do you guys always schedule these trips on the same dates as NJJC events?  This is also the weekend for Big Dog's Spring Fling.

I might skip the NJJC monthly ride for this.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bump said:

How do you guys always schedule these trips on the same dates as NJJC events?  This is also the weekend for Big Dog's Spring Fling.

I might skip the NJJC monthly ride for this.  

First I check my calendar, then double check the family calendar, then check the NJJC event calendar........

• Like 3

I'll post the NJJC calendar to make it easier to double-book. :thefinger:

• Like 2

I'm in. I'd like to get there a couple of days before. It'll be me, my dog, the Deuce and the XJ.

Thanks Dean.

I have my own calendar I'm working around.  May is toast because of my trip out west.  Early June is booked due to Bantam, mid-July is book for PA Jeeps.  August is Carlisle Truck show and MAOF, then September I leave on trip #2.  It was like the one weekend out of 52 I had open (okay, maybe not the only weekend out of 52... but seems that way).

If no on can make it, that's fine.  I just need a heads up so i can plan accordingly.

14 hours ago, Dean said:

I have my own calendar I'm working around.  May is toast because of my trip out west.  Early June is booked due to Bantam, mid-July is book for PA Jeeps.  August is Carlisle Truck show and MAOF, then September I leave on trip #2.  It was like the one weekend out of 52 I had open (okay, maybe not the only weekend out of 52... but seems that way).

If no on can make it, that's fine.  I just need a heads up so i can plan accordingly.

Out, Mom's 80th Birthday party.  If all my family members would start wheeling and camping, scheduling would be sooo much easier.  

I have to buy a fooking calendar to organize my plans for this summer. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I'll let you know in or out soon

This looks fun! It's really close to me. However I have never camped on my own. I will have to think about this one. 

Attached is a map showing the area of Birch Run Road closure that will be going into effect April 3rd and ending in June 30th.

Going to have to alter part of the route.

17553942_10154426449200814_4484323250899574728_n.jpg

Out, Mom's 80th Birthday party.  If all my family members would start wheeling and camping, scheduling would be sooo much easier.  

I'm out for this weekend. Friends wedding. We should do something out there soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Three weeks to go and OP hasn't been the site since 4/19. Hmmm, guess I'll make other plans. Looking forward to seeing you guys another time.

Cheers.