Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Trunk Monkey

Wheel Spacers; Backspacing and Hubs/Unit Bearings

8 posts in this topic

Ok, about 7 months ago we completely redid the front end at Otnoc's.  RCV's, Reids, Prosteer BJ's AND NEW TIMKEN UNIT BEARINGS and I added a set of 1.5 wheel spacers added to my 4.5 backspaced wheels.   Now I know that unit bearings do not like wheel spacers BUT isn't 7 months a bit too fast for one to shit the bed?????  My previous hubs were factory and were on there for years and miles with 35's and my current wheels on them with no problems, suddenly I add on the 1.5 wheel spacers and i'm tearing up a hub in 7 months???  (Needed the spacers because at 4.5 BS my tires rubbed the RK LCA at full lock).

So my question is? Did I get a bad Timken?  Do I need to ditch the wheel spacers and deal with the rubbing.   If I ditch the wheel spacers and go with a 3.5 BS wheel instead of the current 4.5 will I still be blowing through hubs?

I have my eyes on Interco Birddog rims with a 3.5 BS (-38) in the near future (BEFORE Rock the Clock III hopefully).   

Opinions?

Trunk

Timken had some hardening issues last year, I would just replace the hubs.

Pissing off my wife since way back

Timken had some hardening issues last year, I would just replace the hubs.

Great I just ordered another damn Timken

Great I just ordered another damn Timken

They may have pulled all the stuff that there was issues with. It was bearings in lime a one month period.

1 person likes this

I didn't have any problems with unit bearings with that backspacing swinging Hutchinson Rock Monsters and Super Swamper SSRs (i.e. really heavy).  That included a Moab and back.  Sounds like you got a bad unit bearing.

SSRs were the heaviest tire I've ever had

I ran around on 39's and 40's for 65K with factory unit bearings and I think the people that bought my axles are still running.

I submitted a warrant claim through rock auto. They're sending me a new one which I will promptly return to Amazon to get my money back. Couldn't have the Jeep down for almost a week until rock auto shipped