Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike

GMRS Mobile Antennas

15 posts in this topic

Looking further into the GMRS world, I am starting to research mobile antennas and mounting locations. Another plus with GMRS is that the antennas are smaller and cheaper than CB and grounding doesn't seem to be as much of an issue. But, most currently on the market seem to be magnetic mounts which obviously isn't the best route for Jeeps.

Who's got some ideas on antennas and mounting locations?

It really doesn't seem necessary for wheeling. Are you thinking of using it like a ham radio or something?

4 minutes ago, rmm said:

It really doesn't seem necessary for wheeling. Are you thinking of using it like a ham radio or something?

For in-group, probably not needed. But, I'm looking for loner range options, say for group to group.

3 hours ago, Mike said:

For in-group, probably not needed. But, I'm looking for loner range options, say for group to group.

Should try group to group with a common channel sometime. 

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, rmm said:

Should try group to group with a common channel sometime. 

I definitely want to test the limits, thinking more national versus what we do now. 

I've been reading up on this and doing a little more research. I'm almost ready to make the call to start telling all Jeep and off-roading n00bs to not even bother with CB and just go with GMRS. As most of us already know, you'll dump around$250 just to get up and running with a CB once you get a radio, antenna, coax, mounts, etc, and you're still going to have to deal with tuning & grounding issues for crappy AM sound. 

Very recently Midland came out with the Micromobile MXT 115 radio which sells for $149, that's an all-included kit with the radio, mount, power cable, antenna with a magnet mount and the needed coax. What's really appealing as well is the radio is really small and plugs into the 12v lighter outlet, making it very easy to put away when not on trails. And, did I mention it can transmit at 15 watts? All plug & play, no tuning needed.

https://midlandusa.com/product/mxt115-micromobile-2-way-radio/

Screenshot_20170513-213026.png

What's also nice is you can still upgrade the antenna to a 6db gain antenna for $35 to increase the performance.

Yes, the handhelds are also great. But, having a mobile increases your power and you don't have to worry about your batteries dying especially if you are wheeling for more than one day.

There's also a 5 watt option for $99 and a more permanent installation option of a 40 watt that runs for $249.99, but does not include an antenna or coax.

https://midlandusa.com/micromobile/ 

I'm still on the fence.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Kaleigh and I used Baofeng UV82's handhelds when we went back-and-forth to Bar Harbor, 18 hours round-trip.  The battery lasted until 20 minutes from home.  Just $30.  Chirp programming software (Windows PC) is free.  Programming cable is $9, or you can borrow mine.  You don't need anything else.  You spent more money on beer and chips last week. ;)

I see there's a newer version (UV-82 V2+) that does 1/4/7 watts output for $45.

4 hours ago, Bump said:

Kaleigh and I used Baofeng UV82's handhelds when we went back-and-forth to Bar Harbor, 18 hours round-trip.  The battery lasted until 20 minutes from home.  Just $30.  Chirp programming software (Windows PC) is free.  Programming cable is $9, or you can borrow mine.  You don't need anything else.  You spent more money on beer and chips last week. ;)

But, would you ever buy a CB again?

Probably not.  It all depends on what groups I wheel with and whether they made the switch to GMRS.  But honestly, I'd rather buy and bring a six-pack of GMRS handhelds and hand them out then go back to CB. 

2 people like this

1 hour ago, Bump said:

Probably not.  It all depends on what groups I wheel with and whether they made the switch to GMRS.  But honestly, I'd rather buy and bring a six-pack of GMRS handhelds and hand them out then go back to CB. 

This is my feeling as well. I'm happy to share my spare on the trail 

2 hours ago, Bump said:

With the future progression of DOR, a plan is to have at least a cache of 20 handhelds to be loaned/rented out on bigger events and runs.

1 person likes this

Six BF 888S radios cost less than $70.  The only pain is charging them all. 

On 5/16/2017 at 5:42 PM, Bump said:

Definitely an option. But, I'm also looking for a very simple "plug & play" to start recommending for new people. The nice thing is there's a lot of options out there that are compatible with the gmrs system. As @WARDY realized, he has a bunch of handhelds from years ago when he used to take the kids camping, that are frs/gmrs and were just lying around. I'm sure more have radios too that didn't realize would work. 

On 5/16/2017 at 10:16 PM, Bump said:

On 5/16/2017 at 11:33 PM, rmm said:

This is my feeling as well. I'm happy to share my spare on the trail 

On 5/17/2017 at 8:37 PM, Bump said:

Six BF 888S radios cost less than $70.  The only pain is charging them all. 

This is why I am liking the idea of running both mobile and handheld. The handhelds are great for sharing, spotting, and main use. But, you do run the risk of them dying on the trail, especially if you are wheeling multiple days or forget to charge them up before you head out. Now, for the regular user, it's no big deal. But if you are leading a group, it's more of a pain in the ass. Mine died yesterday and I had to keep it in the desktop charger plugged into an inverter, picking the whole thing up to talk.

1 person likes this