Jump to content
Disconnected Offroad

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mike

First Aid Kits From MyMedic Now Available

Recommended Posts

Now available in the Disconnected Offroad Online Store, a full line of pre-stocked first aid kits from MyMedic. 

Check out the MyFAK kits to keep in your Jeep, the Solo for those looking for a smaller option, and the Boat Medic for those looking for a kit that will stay waterproof. MyFAK and the Solo come in both basic and premium supply levels. Supporting and Lifetime Supporting Members get 5% off MyFAK and Boat Medic kits.

http://www.disconnectedoffroad.com/forums/store/category/9-first-aid/

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
1 minute ago, Phoenix said:

Those are nice First Aid Kits.  

These were the best-prestocked kits that I could find, closest to what I would recommend for supplies and not much "fluff" what you really wouldn't have a use for. The MyFAK seems high priced, but you'd be paying $30 - $40 for a similar Smittybilt bag, then still have to acquire your own supplies. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
5 minutes ago, Mike said:

These were the best-prestocked kits that I could find, closest to what I would recommend for supplies and not much "fluff" what you really wouldn't have a use for. The MyFAK seems high priced, but you'd be paying $30 - $40 for a similar Smittybilt bag, then still have to acquire your own supplies. 

After completing the Remote and Wilderness First Aid Course I looked around for a decent FAK (First Aid Kit).  I ended up putting together a number of items, some packaged up, molle that I already had, added a ton of gauze and clotter for @Nascar

This product seems very complete, although I would always add more gauze pads and wrap.  One of the things to think about when buying one of these kits is that stuff you don't know how to use, you don't need.  Anyone that does know how to use the more advanced stuff should have their kit on hand.

That being said, like a fire extinguisher, every Jeep should have one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
4 hours ago, Phoenix said:

After completing the Remote and Wilderness First Aid Course I looked around for a decent FAK (First Aid Kit).  I ended up putting together a number of items, some packaged up, molle that I already had, added a ton of gauze and clotter for @Nascar

This product seems very complete, although I would always add more gauze pads and wrap.  One of the things to think about when buying one of these kits is that stuff you don't know how to use, you don't need.  Anyone that does know how to use the more advanced stuff should have their kit on hand.

That being said, like a fire extinguisher, every Jeep should have one.

The first aid classes I will be offering cover these items. :up:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Some thoughts on Jeep FAK's in general

  1. A FAK is not a substitute for a First Responder or an Emergency Room.  However, it might be needed to stabilize a victim until First Responders can arrive.  You need to consider where you'll be operating, possible response times and your own training and experience level before choosing a kit.  
  2. 99.9% of trail and camp injuries are routine, and FAK's should have enough adhesive strips, small gauzes, antiseptic wipes, pain relievers, antibiotic ointment, etc., to get two people through at least a long weekend.  It's relatively cheap and easy for the owner to add adhesive strips and small gauzes, but single-use wipes, ointments and meds are hard to find and expensive in small quantities (less than 50 units).  
  3. For trauma treatment supplies, you should have enough supplies to treat two people.  If you only have enough for one you might hesitate to offer aid to another so to be sure to have enough left for yourself if needed later.
  4. Sutures or staples should almost never be used on the trail.  You will not be able to properly clean and sterilize the wound.  Use gauze, steri-strips, medical/duct tape, compression bandages, coagulants or even a tourniquet to control bleeding and transport to a medical center.
  5. EMT shears and stainless-steel tick/splinter tweezers should be standard. 
  6. Injuries happen at night so a headlamp (like the Petzl e+Lite Plus) and a few chem lights should be included.
  7. Internal organization and labeling is important, otherwise you wind up dumping the contents on your seat (or the ground) to find what you're looking for in stressful conditions.
  8. In a Jeep, resealable waterproof packaging is important.  

In particular with the Premium kit:

  • Ditch the sutures and scalpels.  Include either a single-edge safety razor blade or a disposable #10 scalpel.  
  • I feel like surgical scissors and hemostat are an unnecessary items without the sutures.
  • Needs 6-10x the wipes, topicals, meds and adhesive bandage strips.  Especially at this price point.
  • If I was going to carry a tourniquet, (and I do), I would choose one compliant with current guidelines, such as the Interagency Board (https://www.interagencyboard.org/sites/default/files/publications/Training Trigger - Tourniquet Use Under Medical Protocols.pdf).  So that would be the C.A.T. or SOFTT-W.  
  • QuikClot sponges should not be used for packing wounds; zeolite is the active ingredient and it is known to generate heat when in contact with blood.  QuikClot gauze (a.k.a. Combat Gauze) uses kaolin instead of zeolite and is not exothermic.  Combat Gauze is also the only FDA-approved hemostatic agent (https://www.ems1.com/trauma/articles/2156227-When-to-use-hemostatic-agents-in-EMS/).  Furthermore, a 15g QuikClot is too small except for wounds that could be managed through direct pressure.  
  • Mixed emotions on including the airway.  On balance, I suppose it's better than a trach tube or performing a tracheotomy in the field, especially with so many people now having severe food and insect bite allergies. 
  • For the price I think it should include a SAM Splint.  
  • There's a lot of stuff jammed into a very few pockets without labeling.

That said, I've spent a lot of money on FAK's and have yet to find the perfect one.  And building one from scratch, even buying a decent kit and supplementing it, can be very expensive.  The cheaper kits use low-quality adhesive strips that don't stick and are hard to open.  Recently, I've been starting off with Adventure Medical Kits kits and adding stuff.  The other problem is keeping the kits fresh.  I try to build new and refresh existing kits at the same time to save buy buying larger quantities to distribute to multiple kits.  AMK sells refills on refillmykits.com but they can add-up in price.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
2 hours ago, Bump said:

Some thoughts on Jeep FAK's in general

  1. A FAK is not a substitute for a First Responder or an Emergency Room.  However, it might be needed to stabilize a victim until First Responders can arrive.  You need to consider where you'll be operating, possible response times and your own training and experience level before choosing a kit.  
  2. 99.9% of trail and camp injuries are routine, and FAK's should have enough adhesive strips, small gauzes, antiseptic wipes, pain relievers, antibiotic ointment, etc., to get two people through at least a long weekend.  It's relatively cheap and easy for the owner to add adhesive strips and small gauzes, but single-use wipes, ointments and meds are hard to find and expensive in small quantities (less than 50 units).  
  3. For trauma treatment supplies, you should have enough supplies to treat two people.  If you only have enough for one you might hesitate to offer aid to another so to be sure to have enough left for yourself if needed later.
  4. Sutures or staples should almost never be used on the trail.  You will not be able to properly clean and sterilize the wound.  Use gauze, steri-strips, medical/duct tape, compression bandages, coagulants or even a tourniquet to control bleeding and transport to a medical center.
  5. EMT shears and stainless-steel tick/splinter tweezers should be standard. 
  6. Injuries happen at night so a headlamp (like the Petzl e+Lite Plus) and a few chem lights should be included.
  7. Internal organization and labeling is important, otherwise you wind up dumping the contents on your seat (or the ground) to find what you're looking for in stressful conditions.
  8. In a Jeep, resealable waterproof packaging is important.  

In particular with the Premium kit:

  • Ditch the sutures and scalpels.  Include either a single-edge safety razor blade or a disposable #10 scalpel.  
  • I feel like surgical scissors and hemostat are an unnecessary items without the sutures.
  • Needs 6-10x the wipes, topicals, meds and adhesive bandage strips.  Especially at this price point.
  • If I was going to carry a tourniquet, (and I do), I would choose one compliant with current guidelines, such as the Interagency Board (https://www.interagencyboard.org/sites/default/files/publications/Training Trigger - Tourniquet Use Under Medical Protocols.pdf).  So that would be the C.A.T. or SOFTT-W.  
  • QuikClot sponges should not be used for packing wounds; zeolite is the active ingredient and it is known to generate heat when in contact with blood.  QuikClot gauze (a.k.a. Combat Gauze) uses kaolin instead of zeolite and is not exothermic.  Combat Gauze is also the only FDA-approved hemostatic agent (https://www.ems1.com/trauma/articles/2156227-When-to-use-hemostatic-agents-in-EMS/).  Furthermore, a 15g QuikClot is too small except for wounds that could be managed through direct pressure.  
  • Mixed emotions on including the airway.  On balance, I suppose it's better than a trach tube or performing a tracheotomy in the field, especially with so many people now having severe food and insect bite allergies. 
  • For the price I think it should include a SAM Splint.  
  • There's a lot of stuff jammed into a very few pockets without labeling.

That said, I've spent a lot of money on FAK's and have yet to find the perfect one.  And building one from scratch, even buying a decent kit and supplementing it, can be very expensive.  The cheaper kits use low-quality adhesive strips that don't stick and are hard to open.  Recently, I've been starting off with Adventure Medical Kits kits and adding stuff.  The other problem is keeping the kits fresh.  I try to build new and refresh existing kits at the same time to save buy buying larger quantities to distribute to multiple kits.  AMK sells refills on refillmykits.com but they can add-up in price.  

 

I didn't list it on the store yet, but I am able to order/sell the individual supplies for re-stocking, including the individually wrapped ointments and wipes, even in small quantities. 

I did talk to MyMedic about switching items, and they will adjust pricing as needed. For instance, I would recommend switching out the RATS turnaquet for a CAT2, just because that's what I primarily carry and train with. 

The Celox does not generate heat like old QuickClot. I do prefer and recommend precoated gauze over granular. Also, newer QuickClot uses Kaolin as it's active ingredient and does not generate heat. The old products that used to generate heat to cauterize have been phased out and should be replaced in a kit. http://www.quikclot.com/FAQ

I also have the ability to order the bag only if anyone wants to build their own. But I do see the basic kit as a good start that can be added to as your training advances. If I don't have it here on the store, check the MyMedic site https://mymedic.us/ and I can order it for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

If there's interest, I am thinking about doing a group buy of the MyFak basic kits. Looking to sell at least 5 and will be willing to sell for $75 each, picked up or delivered at a run or event. Shipped for a little extra. Looking to get some publicity out there. Let me know.

myfak_ifak_first_aid_kit_800x.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
39 minutes ago, kobbs_77 said:

Does the Boat Medic kit have pretty much everything from across all the kits?

More or less the same. Some boat specific stuff. Pricing difference seems to be the case, and each category is bundled together in a Ziploc style pouch to keep from getting wet if you open the case to get something else out. Their site pricing seems to have gone up a bit, but I can work something out for you.

 

bleeding_cbb47c18-2e0c-4a67-8989-b053e0e

[1] R.A.T.S. Tourniquet® | Rapid Application Tourniquet System®

[1] Emergency Israeli Bandage | 4 in. | PerSys Medical®

[1] Celox | 3 gram | Rapid Ribbon | Hemostatic Agent

[1] Liquid Skin® | 0.5 gram

[7] Fabric Bandage | 1 in. x 3 in.

[2] Knuckle Bandage | 1.5 in. x 3 in.

[2] Fingertip Bandage | 1.75 in. x 2 in.

[4] Flexible Fabric Bandage | 2 in. x 4 in.

[2] Sterile Gauze Pad | 2 in. x 2 in.

[3] Secure Strips | 0.25 in.

airway_3cdd35b2-563f-42d6-9525-d99524480

[1] CPR Shield

burn_b1192bc9-efe2-4c57-9f8d-b1165a52174

[2] Burn Jel | 3.5 gram | WaterJel®

[1] Burn Dressing | 4 in. x 4 in. | WaterJel®

topical_623c1da0-8bc0-4146-a904-9461a080

[1] Armor Gel | 1.5 oz

[4] Sunscreen | 0.9 gram

[2] BZK Wipes | Antiseptic

[3] Medicaine® | Sting + Bite

[4] Lip Guard | Chapstick | 0.9 gram

sprain_69dd6675-5cfe-4620-9979-f1e3653bb

[1] Elastic Bandage | 3 in.

[1] Triangular Bandage | Woven

[1] ActiSplint™ | Roll | 4 in. x 36 in.

medication_9d415eb7-1d9f-4bdb-8dff-1f560

[1] Tylenol | 500 mg

[1] Pepto Bismol® | Upset Stomach

[2] Advil® | 200 mg | Pain + Fever + Inflammation

[1] Benadryl® | Allergy | 25 mg x2

[1] Dramamine® | Motion Sickness

[1] Bayer® Aspirin | 325 mg x2

[1] DayQuil® | Cold + Flu

hydration_9c5f24ea-126a-4bf2-8c88-93c29d

[1] Oral I.V.®

adventure_6d69df59-ea96-4055-a957-4e7e7f

[1] Paracord | 20 ft.

[1] Lightstick | 12-Hour

[1] Survival Rescue Blanket | 84 in. x 55 in.

specialty_162afdee-b833-4c8f-8519-dd64b4

[1] EMT Shears | 7.25 in.

[1] Cold Pack | 4 in x 5 in

[1] Tweezers | Stainless + Non-Magnetic

[2] Nitrile Gloves | Large | Latex Free

[1] Case

* Items may be substituted for an equal or better item without notice on occasion.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
 
 
 

Cool. Going to get this order and payment info together.  👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

×