Disconnected Offroad

Trunk Monkey    1,433

Looks like its time for a new starter.  Anyone have any or know of any good or bad experiences with any particular manufacturer from RockAuto, Vatozone, Napa, Advanced etc?  Never knew there were different starters for manual and auto's??? 

Bump    1,479

Why don't you cut-out the middle man and go to a local shop to have it rebuilt?

Trunk Monkey    1,433

Is there any $ savings in doing that? And what's the down time normally? It's still the wife's DD

Mike    4,814
43 minutes ago, Trunk Monkey said:

Is there any $ savings in doing that? And what's the down time normally? It's still the wife's DD

There's a good chance that you're buying a remanufactured motor anyway if you are getting a "deal" or good price from a website or parts store. I'd at least take the old one there to get rebuilt for a spare if the price is right or at least sell as a core.

jerseydevil    764

I ended up getting a Mopar from qtec for $209 plus starter shield for $15. Way more than vatozone, but whatevs, first time replacing it in 7 years/80K miles. Tried to put it in myself, but it's tricky to reach up into that space. Ended up having it towed to Michael's. He fixed it in minutes. Unnecessary expense to get the Mopar name, but it's piece of mind. 

Feuerdog    254

I had to replace my starter last fall. (12' JK 3.6 manual)

I went Mopar too, did the install myself. Not hard, just a little tricky with the wire and plug.

DocSiz    147
Hart Auto Electric in Glendora, just off the Black Horse Pike if you are willing to have it rebuilt. Great work. 
https://www.facebook.com/Hart-Auto-Electric-377377892350372/

That dude is awesome. I blew up the generator on the '49 ford a few years back and he built me a new one for $35 he's got some good stories of the old racing days too. Ask him about Hondaline hahaha
  • Like 1

Mike    4,814
1 hour ago, DocSiz said:

That dude is awesome. I blew up the generator on the '49 ford a few years back and he built me a new one for $35 he's got some good stories of the old racing days too. Ask him about Hondaline hahaha

Definitely the go-to spot for old stuff to save you from finding a new matching replacement. 

• Like 1