Disconnected Offroad
Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Buy a JK or Wait for a JL?

30 posts in this topic

Speaking hypothetically of course, if you were in the market for a new Jeep right now, do you buy a last year JK or do you take the gamble on the new JL? What would influence you either way?

2017-Jeep-Wrangler-Unlimited-Exterior-Overview-Front-Three-Quarter.jpg.image.1440.jpg or 2018-wrangler-unlimited-front-jlwranglerforums-3-1.jpg

I'm with the devil... 2019 scrambler for me

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'd bet that scrambler will be every bit of $50k. Maybe 60k

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jerseydevil said:

2019 JT Scrambler w/ Diesel FTMFW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, I'm waiting on that one too, but I'll keep that one nice.

• Like 1

I'd bet that scrambler will be every bit of $50k. Maybe 60k

I would say it's going to push 60k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd wait for the JL to come out and then buy a left over JK, but I'm paying college tuition for 2.

Diesel in my mind is a game changer, but I'd wait for the 2nd year of production.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JeepFish said:

Are there any known differences?

The frame is longer

24 minutes ago, rmm said:

The frame is longer

33 inches longer....

2019-jt-jeep-scrambler-pickup-frame-comp

1 hour ago, JeepFish said:

Are there any known differences?

Yes. I posted somewhere. 

5 hours ago, kobbs_77 said:

33 inches longer....

2019-jt-jeep-scrambler-pickup-frame-comp

Thing is gonna be the same size as a full size truck

• Like 1

It's going to be mid sized. About the size of a Chevy colorado.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I wonder what the tow capacity will be on the Scrambler.  Would be nice if I could tow my JK with it.  But $60K is in the full-size pickup price range.

I think the engine vents look gay, but I imagine there will be aftermarket vents.  It also looks like the engine compartment is longer, not just lower, which contributes to the gayness.  Mixed feelings about the lower profile and raked windshield, but I could live with the lower COG and better MPG.  Hopefully the ground clearance isn't reduced.   If the rumors about engine selections are true that would be a big plus.  IDK why more space was needed under the hood.  Is the wheelbase increased?  

Looks like a three-piece hard-top, which would be nice for folks that run a hard top.  I see door hinges so even if the doors are non-removable from the factory there should be mods or aftermarket hinges so the doors can be removed.  But I don't see any screws for windshield hinges, which means no fold-down/removable windshield without considerable cutting/fabrication and no easy way to mount a light bar over the windshield or a safari rack without some fab work.

A little concerned about how the electronic shifter is going to work on the automatic and shift ratios for 8-speed.  My 2010 is very stubborn about downshifting, so I am typically in 1st or 2nd gear to keep the engine RPM's up in the torque band.  I foresee a lot more shifting, which is probably true of the 6-speed.  But how the electronic shifter works is going to be important to me.

7 hours ago, Bump said:

I wonder what the tow capacity will be on the Scrambler.  Would be nice if I could tow my JK with it.  But $60K is in the full-size pickup price range.

I think the engine vents look gay, but I imagine there will be aftermarket vents.  It also looks like the engine compartment is longer, not just lower, which contributes to the gayness.  Mixed feelings about the lower profile and raked windshield, but I could live with the lower COG and better MPG.  Hopefully the ground clearance isn't reduced.   If the rumors about engine selections are true that would be a big plus.  IDK why more space was needed under the hood.  Is the wheelbase increased?  

Looks like a three-piece hard-top, which would be nice for folks that run a hard top.  I see door hinges so even if the doors are non-removable from the factory there should be mods or aftermarket hinges so the doors can be removed.  But I don't see any screws for windshield hinges, which means no fold-down/removable windshield without considerable cutting/fabrication and no easy way to mount a light bar over the windshield or a safari rack without some fab work.

A little concerned about how the electronic shifter is going to work on the automatic and shift ratios for 8-speed.  My 2010 is very stubborn about downshifting, so I am typically in 1st or 2nd gear to keep the engine RPM's up in the torque band.  I foresee a lot more shifting, which is probably true of the 6-speed.  But how the electronic shifter works is going to be important to me.

They needed to elongate the engine bay to fit the new 8-speed auto, which was needed for mileage.  IIRC, it's the same unit out of the Grand Cherokee, which handles Trackhawk power, so it ain't gonna be wimpy.  It would be nice to have an ultra short first gear for offroad, while having the tranny step off in 2nd gear like luxury cars and the newer 6+ speed autos.

I'm also told that for folks like us, the best units to buy will be in the first 6 months of production.  After the first 6 months, all of the collision avoidance gear gets installed and no one is sure how that's gonna work with mods.  I'd like to think when you put it in 4LO it would kill all that functionality, but it's an unknown at the moment. 

Edited by kobbs_77

We have that 8 speed behind the hemi in the Durango. I love it. 20 mpg avg behind the 5.7 with mixed driving. It'll do 25 mpg cruising at 75

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rmm said:

We have that 8 speed behind the hemi in the Durango. I love it. 20 mpg avg behind the 5.7 with mixed driving. It'll do 25 mpg cruising at 75

Does it step off in 2nd gear in normal driving?

8 minutes ago, kobbs_77 said:

Does it step off in 2nd gear in normal driving?

Not from a complete stop.  Sometimes from a rolling stop

But what is it like in 4LO?  Is it CVT?

3 hours ago, rmm said:

Not from a complete stop.  Sometimes from a rolling stop

That's interesting. Most of the 6+ speed auto's I've driven step off in 2nd gear in normal driving for a smooth take-off.

1 hour ago, kobbs_77 said:

That's interesting. Most of the 6+ speed auto's I've driven step off in 2nd gear in normal driving for a smooth take-off.

I think the way they have it set up still values torquey starts

2 hours ago, Bump said:

But what is it like in 4LO?  Is it CVT?

It's awd, but not cvt. Low gear drives the same, just lower. Fine for the winter, def not a wheeler

@bump as far as towing is concered, I wouldn't put anything less than a 1/2 ton in front of a dressed JK.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I thought I read that tow packages will not be available for the JL?

I thought I read that tow packages will not be available for the JL?

Last I saw on it they are making it 5,000 tow limit.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk