Disconnected Offroad
Sign in to follow this  
Jkdad16

Skid plates

Clayton, but I wouldn't go that route for you as you don't yet need a new crossmember with long-arm mounts.  Plus they're heavy as hell.  Maybe you should consider aluminum to keep the weight down.

9 hours ago, kobbs_77 said:

Clayton, but I wouldn't go that route for you as you don't yet need a new crossmember with long-arm mounts.  Plus they're heavy as hell.  Maybe you should consider aluminum to keep the weight down.

I was looking aluminum being they weigh less, just want a little reassurance under there for those rocks....

I would not ever consider aluminum skids unless they were 5/16" thick with 3/16" UHMW PE skins.  Artec's aluminum skids are only 1/4" and cost $1499, plus add another $400 worth of UHMW plus labor to cut it to shape and attach to the skids (DIY if you have the patience).  I think that would be a kick-ass setup, but I fear 1/4" isn't thick enough.  The problem is that aluminum is a very rigid but soft metal.  Rigid, in that it has very little spring and is prone to crush. And soft, in that it will gall and gouge against rocks when dragged.

• Like 1