Disconnected Offroad
Dan

08/18-08/20

Just woke up from a much needed nap. Only slept about an hour or so last night.

It started out pretty decent with dinner on the beach. Kinda went downhill from there. it was a littl funny around 11 when both dogs present started barking at the storm coming. There's a good reason I trust that dog more than I trust most people. 

As for the PD visit, camping isn't permitted on the beach. I explained that we definitely were NOT camping and that the tents were emergency shelters only. We had been caught by severe weather and were missing a set of keys so we had to ride out the storm on the beach. 

Then I mentioned the woman who had called about this had been walking her 2 Portuguese water dogs through the dunes, which is punishable by a 1,000.00 fine. Cop smirked a little, ran my ID for wants/warrants and we were free to go. 

Backup unit on the street was pretty cool and wanted to talk Jeeps.  He also said if we wanted to keep fishing, we should keep fishing...just take down the tent first. LOL

• Like 1

This whole work thing getting closer to retirement really really sucks. I miss out on a more fun than when I knew I had to work. 

54 minutes ago, WARDY said:

This whole work thing getting closer to retirement really really sucks. I miss out on a more fun than when I knew I had to work. 

Last night was anything but fun. I was scared shitless 

17 minutes ago, Dan said:

Last night was anything but fun. I was scared shitless 

I stopped at the Cape May Wawa to grab a coffee and it started raining again. At that point I thought I had made the right decision on leaving. Then I hit the Parkway and couldn't see a thing, then started doubting my decision. If I wasn't soaked, I might have just slept in the Jeep for a couple of hours.

Always have a refuge here. Even if we’re not home we have a place to park and a dry porch 

• Like 1

Too much shittyness of the night to get into too much detail.  But the main part are.

- Lost my keys.

- Nice weather turned into really crappy weather fast.

- During the scurry to get the tent up as shelter I ended up using Dan's bait cooler to try to weigh down the tent in the wind.  Which ended up with the tent getting soaked with bait smelling water. 

- Took shelter in the tent, but lightning was getting way to close for comfort.  Picked up the dog and ran for the jeep.  Ended up activating the alarm twice at 2 a.m in the downpour.

-To avoid setting the alarm off I tried to get to my gear by opening up the dust cover.  This led to a waterfall of water from the dust cover and the bikini top to pour into the back soaking all of my gear and the dog bed for Ellie.

- Managed to have 1 wool blanket and 1 hoodie that was dry in a dry bag (thank god).  Found the only high and dry spot in the tent and set up the wool blanket for Ellie to sleep on (she was soaked).

- Tried to fall asleep on the cot but was too cold, ended up stealing the dogs wool blanket, and spooned with the dog on a small one person cot under the blanket.

So there it is, I got my hour and a half of sleep, while wearing a semi dry hoodie, soaking wet shorts, cuddling with a wet dog, surrounded by a blanket smelling of wet dog, inside of a tent smelling of bait and a wet floor.

On the plus side, Dan found my keys in about 30 seconds in the morning, the cops that showed up in the morning were cool.  And breakfast at sunset beach was delicious.  Although, Ellie still thinks I owe her at least 10 more breakfast sandwiches to make up for the night. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Gruf said:

Too much shittyness of the night to get into too much detail.  But the main part are.

- Lost my keys.

- During the scurry to get the tent up as shelter I ended up using Dan's bait cooler to try to weigh down the tent in the wind.  Which ended up with the tent getting soaked with bait smelling water. 

- Took shelter in the tent, but lightning was getting way to close for comfort.  Picked up the dog and ran for the jeep.  Ended up activating the alarm twice at 2 a.m in the downpour.

-To avoid setting the alarm off I tried to get to my gear by opening up the dust cover.  This led to a waterfall of water from the dust cover and the bikini top to pour into the back soaking all of my gear and the dog bed for Ellie.

- Managed to have 1 wool blanket and 1 hoodie that was dry in a dry bag (thank god).  Found the only high and dry spot in the tent and set up the wool blanket for Ellie to sleep on (she was soaked).

- Tried to fall asleep on the cot but was too cold, ended up stealing the dogs wool blanket, and spooned with the dog on a small one person cot under the blanket.

So there it is, I got my hour and a half of sleep, while wearing a semi dry hoodie, soaking wet shorts, cuddling with a wet dog, surrounded by a blanket smelling of wet dog, inside of a tent smelling of bait and a wet floor.

On the plus side, Dan found my keys in about 30 seconds in the morning, the cops that showed up in the morning were cool.  And breakfast at sunset beach was delicious.  Although, Ellie still thinks I owe her at least 10 more breakfast sandwiches to make up for the night. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Gruf said:

- Lost my keys.

You know it was an eventful trip when Gruf comes back posting like @Bump

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

Well, you slackers missed an exciting WFTW today.  All the rain has really washed out the trails in spots with plenty of residual water to make things greasy.  2nd hill climb of the day turned into a blue-black with two flops -- first time that's happened on any WFTW ride.  Fortunately, both Jeeps suffered only minor damage and were able to drive home.  A metric shit ton of goodies were handed out at the raffle, including a roughly 4' x 4' custom American/WFTW flag done in weathered sheet metal on the plasma cutter (would have been a very cool addition to your man cave) and a couple of large bar mirrors made for WFTW. 

• Like 1

It looked like a great time on FB.  We got back from vacation today, so I knew I'd miss this year.  How many pairs of gloves did @BEASTY win?