Disconnected Offroad
Mike

What did you do to your Jeep today?

Got some 4.56 gears installed, new rear axles, c gussets welded, dynatrac balljoints, and now my trans shift points are jacked up.....

• Like 2

New wheels and tires installed. Coming soon teraflex tire carrier 20180330_173022.jpeg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, rmm said:

Picked up a winch from someone that knows @HEAVYMETAL apparently

#facebookfamous

• Like 1

Picked up a winch from someone that knows [mention=25]HEAVYMETAL[/mention] apparently
Tom Kelly. He was over last night. Real nice guy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, HEAVYMETAL said:

Tom Kelly. He was over last night. Real nice guy.

Toby actually

43 minutes ago, HEAVYMETAL said:

Oooh toby shivio out in Frankenville

Yep, that's him.  Engo wants a shitload for their poorly designed solenoid pack.  Happier with the quadatec winch 

On 3/31/2018 at 3:41 PM, bigtom said:

New wheels and tires installed. Coming soon teraflex tire carrier 20180330_173022.jpeg

Tom, you rock soft doors all winter?

On 4/2/2018 at 7:39 AM, kobbs_77 said:

Tom, you rock soft doors all winter?

I did this year. It wasn't too bad just kept the heat on full blast

6 hours ago, bigtom said:

I did this year. It wasn't too bad just kept the heat on full blast

And I'm sure no jacket 

• Like 2

I am very big on preventive maintenance. I've been buying wear parts and a few other spare parts over the last couple of months just waiting for a nice day. Today was that day. I noticed a couple of days ago I would get a smell of gear oil once in a while. I gave it a half ass look under and didn't see anything obvious. Once the jeep was in the the left axle was leaking. Pulled the wheels and brake calipers and found the left side axle bearing was toast.
Good thing I have a nice supply of parts. I replaced the axle bearing and seal. Serviced both rears, replaced the rear track bar, front brake pads, oil change and lube, rotated the tires. Should be good to go for now.6c3be8d80cdf35b21ea5d10211a2b2d3.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Delayed carnage as a result of hot-footing it around AOAA the weekend of Ultra4.  U-Joint on my front driveshaft blew-up as I was exiting I-80 on my way home from Kaleigh's.  Of course this destroyed the ears on the slip-yoke end.

20180421_211913.jpg

Sent a FB message to Adams Driveshaft on Sunday.  Much to my surprise, James messaged me back within an hour.  We worked out a deal to overnight me a new slip yoke and then send a complete spare shaft via ground for less than a new front shaft normally costs, because I was a repeat customer.  Can't say enough about how thrilled I am with their service.

When I went to look at the damage the next day I saw this:

20180422_142103.jpg

My upper radius arm tore right off the end.  Honestly have no idea how I drove it home since I am three-linked up front with only one upper radius arm.  Delayed shit-my-pants over how bad this would have been driving 70MPH on I-80.  This is probably what caused the u-joint to blow as the pinion angle dropped and bound-up the joint.  Something like this has happened to me before so after being unsuccessful at finding someone available to tow me I got a stock upper control arm and put it in the stock location, which was good enough to drive it to Smashboogie4x4 in Newton. 

Tom @ Smashboogie made me a beefy new upper radius arm out of .250 DOM and I had Adams overnight the slip yoke to him in an effort to make it to NJJC's Spring Trail Ride at RC last weekend.  But it turns out that the CV was screaming and my complete spare driveshaft hadn't arrived yet, nor could I find the right double cardon rebuild kit, so wheeling was off.

The driveshaft arrived Tuesday and I had Tom put it on today so my Jeep is ready to wheel.

• Like 2

I didn’t really need new shocks, and I was going to save for something nicer, but the stock shocks have been feeling kinda sloppy lately,... especially with the added weight of the 34”s.

So I grabbed a set of the cheap Quadratec Nitro 8.0 shocks on sale for $140 for all 4.

The physical size difference is impressive, and they don’t seem to be too terribly made,.... but we shall see.

Bump damping is about the same as stock, rebound has more pressure behind it,...... so should be better with added unsparing weights.

I review later when they have more miles......

54118916-973E-4675-99FC-CB6188BDE3F1.jpeg

• Like 1

I was thinking about giving the OME Bypass or Teraflex Falcon shocks a try.

2 hours ago, Bump said:

Swayaway is on sale at quadratec, it's very tempting.  $100 more than those teraflex ones.  I need new shocks too

5 hours ago, Bump said:

3 hours ago, rmm said:

Swayaway is on sale at quadratec, it's very tempting.  $100 more than those teraflex ones.  I need new shocks too

I run the OME IBP shocks (the BP-51's).  They're amazing.  I have an insane amount of unsprung and sprung weight and it handles it superbly.  Being able to adjust for compression AND rebound makes a huge difference.  Doesn't feel right?  Break out the spanner.  I even tune it when I'm fully loaded for a big trip. The difference is huge.

I played with the Teraflex shock at their booth.  Dennis is an odd guy but knows his stuff.  From what I recall, it's only got two adjustments and they're both for compression: a large adjustment and a fine adjustment.  I'd rather have a rebound adjustment than a fine compression adjustment.  Plus, they're not bypass shocks.  I'll be honest, I'll never build another truck without bypass shocks again.  If you want to come down and drive mine and play with settings, feel free.

Edited by kobbs_77
  • Like 1

Man, that price though.  I'd love to put the fat JKU on something ndecent though, since it doesn't seem like I'll find a decent trade partner

14 hours ago, Feuerdog said:

I didn’t really need new shocks, and I was going to save for something nicer, but the stock shocks have been feeling kinda sloppy lately,... especially with the added weight of the 34”s.

So I grabbed a set of the cheap Quadratec Nitro 8.0 shocks on sale for $140 for all 4.

The physical size difference is impressive, and they don’t seem to be too terribly made,.... but we shall see.

Bump damping is about the same as stock, rebound has more pressure behind it,...... so should be better with added unsparing weights.

I review later when they have more miles......

54118916-973E-4675-99FC-CB6188BDE3F1.jpeg

I have them... did springs with em, they are meh, for the price, its good. 

You put on wheel spacers?  Good for you, man.

• Like 2

I did a thing 501b4d371153caa1bfa88b51694b639a.jpg

All ready for the mall parking lot.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I got in it and drove for the first time in over 2 months 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, WARDY said:

I got in it and drove for the first time in over 2 months 

How are you feeling?