Disconnected Offroad
Eventbrite - Rock the Clock 3
Sign in to follow this  
Artayay

Aftermarket SoftTops, Alt Tops

74 posts in this topic

Trektop NX here. Love the fastback look on the 4 doors. It's super quiet on highways. Ease of installation. Makes you stand out.

Three negatives

1. Initial install, the canvas is super tight and getting rear window to latch is difficult if not super sunny out. Same thing in colder weather.

2. Has a sun rider feature, but if you want rear passenger sun, you will have to roll the top forward and secure with zip ties. Best top does not have provisions for rolling the top forward like ORH top. But no big deal.

3. You loose some rear space in the 4door, but I am able to work around it.

I love this top, the canvas hasn't faded in 2 long seasons. I always use 303 cleaner and protector. Has a deep black color when clean. My favorite feature is the bikini top feature, I run this almost all summer long with soft doors. Keeps the beating sun off my ginger head yet allows that open air feeling. Highly recommend this top.

I loved the trektop nx on the 4dr too. One suggestion I have is to change out the besttop tailgate bar to an OEM tailgate bar. Makes it much easier.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337

I loved the trektop nx on the 4dr too. One suggestion I have is to change out the besttop tailgate bar to an OEM tailgate bar. Makes it much easier. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337

Agreed

I love my Trektop NX. I don't have any experience with any other soft tops on the JKU, but when my first one bit the dust, I got a 2nd. It goes on and off easy and the sunrider works in seconds.

I didn't think to roll up the back of the top to open up the back seat. I'll give that a try next year. Sometimes if I'm on the highway I'll use some strapping Velcro to stop the sunrider from flopping in the wind, that would probably work as well, if anyone need some let me know, I use it at work and can get plenty.

I had heard complaints about the tailgate bar, but I had also heard they may have changed it. What is the difference that makes the stock one better?

Stock bar rolls into stock channels, trektop bar clicks onto tub and is difficult in cooler weather

I think the Trektop NX is the best look for the JKU in the summer, especially when paired with canvas doors. Actually tried to get Greg (above's) Trektop but the globex crew wanted to keep it on his 4 door. 

Pros

- Looks awesome

- NX has same clamps to hold flip top in place as supertop (original trektop just rolled and was tied.

- Very tight w/ no road noise.

- No leaks 

- Price

- Comes tinted

Cons

- When running in bikini top configuration (no side or back windows) on the highway for an hour, the rear seemed to flap loose. I wouldn't read this as a deal-breaker, just run side windows and everything stayed on.

- Rear space compromised as Nascar mentioned above. I had the rampage rack, so I REALLY had no space to put stuff. 

- Rear window is just one of those things you don't want to have to put back on/take off everyday. I actually got the bestop trail cover to throw on this if there was rain in the forecast since I ran the 1/2 soft doors in the summer. 

• Like 1

I am glad I saw this topic, looking to get the trektop nx this summer.  Right now I have the factory soft top but want to change it, plus the trektop makes the jku look so much better

@Bump How do you like your Offroad Heroes soft top?  How has it held up?  My soft top was about ready to get ditched before it met it's demise (5 years and 50K+ miles have taken it's toll on the canvas).

So I can say I've installed a Off-Road Heros Soft top and it wasn't the most friendly install I've ever done. Our customer wanted that looks and was dead set on it. In the end I like the look but there really is no comparison to the Trektop. I know it is a different look but the fit, function, & support are far superior.

34 minutes ago, ABadJeeper said:

So I can say I've installed a Off-Road Heros Soft top and it wasn't the most friendly install I've ever done. Our customer wanted that looks and was dead set on it. In the end I like the look but there really is no comparison to the Trektop. I know it is a different look but the fit, function, & support are far superior.

That is excellent info. I wouldn't be doing the ORH Cargo top anyway (even though I really like the look) because it will interfere with the c-pillar supports on the cage and as we all now know, those things are REALLY important.

• Like 1

Next question, Trektop framed or frameless?

The trek top nx is frameless. This will be my 2nd season using mine. I love it. Install is easy, it's very quiet and I've had no leaks what so ever.

2 hours ago, kobbs_77 said:

Next question, Trektop framed or frameless?

If you want to take a look at mine I can stop by some time. It's been pretty good. After some time the header started to separate where it attaches the fabric, it seems to be a common problem, probably from the sunrider bouncing around on the highway. You just need to get in there and tighten up the screws if you see it happening. I waited a bit too long and the adhesive that holds the fabric tight isn't holding too well, so I plan to get in there with some glue the next time I have it off. 

Trektop will be my choice after I'm sick of the bikini top + windjammer

So to add to the Trektop info.

Rick you asked if it is frameless and the answer to that is yes like others have said but it still uses 4 cross braces. One slides into the top in the middle of the top then there is a bow assembly for the front and the rear. There is then a cross bar that goes through the rear of the top. 

In my opinion it is actually more cumbersome to pull completely off than a factory top with quick disconnects. But the real win with the trektop is you can be in bikini mode in about 2 minutes which is really nice. The only other complaint I have is trying to store the side windows. With the hard rear support in them you really can't roll them up so you have to lay them flat somewhere. I actually use binder clips clipped to the lower part of them and hang them in my garage.

With all the above said I would probably never run a factory top again unless I needed the additional space to stack stuff up in the rear. I typically pull my top and put my half doors and duster cover on for the summer and just use my cab cover for the rainy days. 

On 3/28/2016 at 3:16 PM, kobbs_77 said:

@Bump How do you like your Offroad Heroes soft top?  How has it held up?  My soft top was about ready to get ditched before it met it's demise (5 years and 50K+ miles have taken it's toll on the canvas).

The top would have held-up fine if I didn't lean it against trees a few times.  This tore the canvas and bent/broke the side rails.  So I'm thinking about getting a new top this year. 

If you go with the ORH my recommendation would be to remove the top and side rails before wheeling.  You can leave the front panel and center channel on and still protect the driver's seat from sun and rain. 

The ORH top is the tightest, quietest top I've ever seen.  I like how the front panel rolls-up and stays in place.  I wish the old style was still available where the entire top panel rolled-up, but the new style allows for a tighter and quieter fit.  When I take it off everything rolls-up or stores flat in the back of the Jeep taking little storage space.  I've gone camping with a full load of gear and was able to store the top in back with my soft doors, no problem.  It also goes back on quick if you get caught in a rain storm. 

I've never really driven a Jeep with the Trektop NX so I can't compare.

Tim, the owner of ORH/California Tops, is a total flake.  I've called him 3 times so far this month to order a new multi-top and he doesn't return my call.  So I'm about to say fuck it and just order the Trektop.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bump said:

The top would have held-up fine if I didn't lean it against trees a few times.  This tore the canvas and bent/broke the side rails.  So I'm thinking about getting a new top this year. 

If you go with the ORH my recommendation would be to remove the top and side rails before wheeling.  You can leave the front panel and center channel on and still protect the driver's seat from sun and rain. 

The ORH top is the tightest, quietest top I've ever seen.  I like how the front panel rolls-up and stays in place.  I wish the old style was still available where the entire top panel rolled-up, but the new style allows for a tighter and quieter fit.  When I take it off everything rolls-up or stores flat in the back of the Jeep taking little storage space.  I've gone camping with a full load of gear and was able to store the top in back with my soft doors, no problem.  It also goes back on quick if you get caught in a rain storm. 

I've never really driven a Jeep with the Trektop NX so I can't compare.

Tim, the owner of ORH/California Tops, is a total flake.  I've called him 3 times so far this month to order a new multi-top and he doesn't return my call.  So I'm about to say fuck it and just order the Trektop.

Customer support is a big deal.  That, in and of itself, is enough to disqualify a vendor.

20 hours ago, ABadJeeper said:

So to add to the Trektop info.

Rick you asked if it is frameless and the answer to that is yes like others have said but it still uses 4 cross braces. One slides into the top in the middle of the top then there is a bow assembly for the front and the rear. There is then a cross bar that goes through the rear of the top. 

In my opinion it is actually more cumbersome to pull completely off than a factory top with quick disconnects. But the real win with the trektop is you can be in bikini mode in about 2 minutes which is really nice. The only other complaint I have is trying to store the side windows. With the hard rear support in them you really can't roll them up so you have to lay them flat somewhere. I actually use binder clips clipped to the lower part of them and hang them in my garage.

With all the above said I would probably never run a factory top again unless I needed the additional space to stack stuff up in the rear. I typically pull my top and put my half doors and duster cover on for the summer and just use my cab cover for the rainy days.

So this is where I get confused, what's the difference between the Trektop and the Trektop NX?  Just the flip back forward section versus the roll back forward section?  Shit, I might not even get a soft top.  I have a hard top.  The only reason I keep the softie on is for wheeling (which looks smart right about now.  I don't even run a roof from May to October.  Then again, the Smittybuilt Bowless combo soft top is cheap and I already have the stock parts needed to make it work (minus one driver's side rear surround which I turned into powder).  Anyone here run that top ever?  Decisions, decisions.

1 hour ago, kobbs_77 said:

So this is where I get confused, what's the difference between the Trektop and the Trektop NX?  Just the flip back forward section versus the roll back forward section?  Shit, I might not even get a soft top.  I have a hard top.  The only reason I keep the softie on is for wheeling (which looks smart right about now.  I don't even run a roof from May to October.  Then again, the Smittybuilt Bowless combo soft top is cheap and I already have the stock parts needed to make it work (minus one driver's side rear surround which I turned into powder).  Anyone here run that top ever?  Decisions, decisions.

that line of thinking is how i ended up with the bikini top + windjammer.  it's pretty warm right now, and I'm not heavily invested in parts that I take off for half the year.  In may I'll take off the windjammer and switch to half doors

edit - I'll think about making the switch to the trektop when I'm carting two carseats and need to think about having real doors on more of the time, even if they're metal half doors + soft uppers

• Like 1

The diff between the nx and the regular treetop is you can only remove the rear window on the trek top. On the nx the 2 side and the rear window are removable.

The diff between the nx and the regular trektop is you can only remove the rear window on the trek top. On the nx the 2 side and the rear window are removable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rmm said:

that line of thinking is how i ended up with the bikini top + windjammer.  it's pretty warm right now, and I'm not heavily invested in parts that I take off for half the year.  In may I'll take off the windjammer and switch to half doors

edit - I'll think about making the switch to the trektop when I'm carting two carseats and need to think about having real doors on more of the time, even if they're metal half doors + soft uppers

I appreciate that logic. However, now that I'm reconciling the post and the poster, I'm even more curious as to the line of thinking that has been leading you to chrome-ville, the shiniest town on earth.

52 minutes ago, Newmango said:

The diff between the nx and the regular treetop is you can only remove the rear window on the trek top. On the nx the 2 side and the rear window are removable.

Ahhh, that's the answer I'm looking for.  The Smitty might actually happen then.

29 minutes ago, kobbs_77 said:

I appreciate that logic. However, now that I'm reconciling the post and the poster, I'm even more curious as to the line of thinking that has been leading you to chrome-ville, the shiniest town on earth.

You'll understand when you see the light catch the rock rings.  it's truly a thing of beauty.  a little like this

1452589242463[1].jpg

• Like 1

Remember Smitty Built didn't get the nickname Shitty built for no reason. They take everyone's ideas and copy them.

I actually sold my hardtop because I was so happy with the Trektop NX. Now we don't get the snow you guys do but in all honesty I don't think snow would make much of a change in my decision. 

• Like 1