Disconnected Offroad
Trunk Monkey

Do I want solid U Joints (spicer) or greasable and why?

42 posts in this topic

Front and rear driveshafts are probably my next purchase (probably adams) Tell me which U joints I want and why? Currently on 35's but 37's aren't out of the question. I'm leaning towards the solids..

I have spicers up front in my tatton, gold seals in the Tom woods. Both grease able 1310s, I would suggest 1310s and greaseable. With all the crap we drive through I feel better with the ability to purge old grease with new rather than unserviceable ujoints. I like Tom woods warranty if the joint breaks. That sold me. I would have gotten the front as well but I got the tatton at a great price.

What NASCAR said with all the water and mud you guys see the ability to push new grease into the joints outweighs the small strength gain that you get with solid joints.

Definitely good to know, I'm probably not far behind ya Trunk.

Yeah I tore my boot on Pizza rock (I'm assuming) at TATAS last year so rather than wait for it to go I think ill just grab the shafts now and keep my stock ones as "oh shit" spares.

Adams seem to be the cheapest at a little over $600 for the set. I know a few guys who run them and haven't had any complaints.

Yeah I tore my boot on Pizza rock (I'm assuming) at TATAS last year so rather than wait for it to go I think ill just grab the shafts now and keep my stock ones as "oh shit" spares.

Cool, you can keep the in the "sac". Haha

To soon.....

Ummm no I prefer to keep all my spare parts at my house. I'll gladly offer them up in an emergency to ANYONE (JC, DO or other) but I prefer to keep everything here since the Sac is housed up north and the HOM is about 45 mins south of me. I'm kinda in the middle if anyone needs anything. That's why I took all my stock shit home from the HOM after my lift install.

Ummm no I prefer to keep all my spare parts at my house. I'll gladly offer them up in an emergency to ANYONE (JC, DO or other) but I prefer to keep everything here since the Sac is housed up north and the HOM is about 45 mins south of me. I'm kinda in the middle if anyone needs anything. That's why I took all my stock shit home from the HOM after my lift install.

Don't you guys have the SAC signal? Shine the light in the air and the sac will come.

• Like 1

No problems with that.

like everyone said above, greasable are the way to go, but you have got to remember that's only as long as you intend on taking the time to utilize the grease fittings.  a lot of guys get greaseable parts then never touch them which would leave them better off with the solid universals in the long run.  what kind of grease schedule are you guys with aftermarket shafts sticking to?

like everyone said above, greasable are the way to go, but you have got to remember that's only as long as you intend on taking the time to utilize the grease fittings.  a lot of guys get greaseable parts then never touch them which would leave them better off with the solid universals in the long run.  what kind of grease schedule are you guys with aftermarket shafts sticking to?

In addition to looking forward to the answer to this question, how accessible are the grease locations.  Am I going to be dropping skids every time I do this?

In addition to looking forward to the answer to this question, how accessible are the grease locations. Am I going to be dropping skids every time I do this?
From what I understand you can't get to some fittings without pulling the shafts either.

Need a grease gun adapter for the double cardon zerks. Don't know what it's called it came in a kit.

Phoenix you will probably have to drop the skids for the drive shaft.

I hit everything but the double cardon at every oil change. Just a couple pumps. Then the cardon zerks maybe 3x a year