Disconnected Offroad
Sign in to follow this  
Phuket

I want to be shafted by Christian

23 posts in this topic

I am gonna buy a Tom Woods front DS from JJG, but I also want to buy adjustable upper control arms. I have Teraflex lowers ,but should I just buy upper and lower and remove the Teraflex lowers? I have 2.5" OME lift and want to get something that will work with that lift.  I want to go to a 3.5-4" eventually, not sure what I'm going with yet. I need some suggestions before the 10% is over. :hmm:

I am gonna buy a Tom Woods front DS from JJG, but I also want to buy adjustable upper control arms. I have Teraflex lowers ,but should I just buy upper and lower and remove the Teraflex lowers? I have 2.5" OME lift and want to get something that will work with that lift. I want to go to a 3.5-4" eventually, not sure what I'm going with yet. I need some suggestions before the 10% is over. :hmm:

Any issues with the teraflex lowers? If not there's not a huge reason to change them unless you're anal about having a single company on your entire suspension. Plus the ft arms can have metalcloak joints put in which is sweet. It's all on you but you'll be fine keeping what you have.

Problem with the OME springs is that with the rear being pushed back the 1" with RK is that the springs will hit the rear track bar. That's y I had to get springs.

I was thinking about getting the whole Clayton arm kit.
I'm not sure of the thread size on the tf but the Johnny joints may thread in. If you're going to be at masons next week you can check out my clayton stuff and see if it's worth it to push off the tf for them. There isn't a whole lot to gain by changing the arms themselves unless you are going stronger, lighter, or running at full lock which the bends in the clayton lca's do reduce. With rk I made just enough contact with then to keep a clean spot on them but don't touch the clayton.

Thanks Iggy. I don't think I'll be able to make it to that one. I that this thread would at least get Nascar and Perry going. :fight:

NASCAR is the guy to talk about the tf arms woth for sure. I know he had a few issues with them but in it sure exactly what or how so I can't be much help on that side

Ok I ordered a Tom Woods front DS, PSC trans. and p/s cooler, Crown extended rear brake lines, axle rebuild kit and c gussets. I'll do the control arms later when I get a better idea of what lift I want. If I go with coilovers do I have to go to a longarm kit?

According to Teraflex, their flex arms use 1-1/4", 12tpi rod ends.  If so, yes you could replace them with Johnny Joints.

http://www.teraflex.biz/jk-wrangler-front-lower-flexarms.html#second

http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/Product.aspx?id=2630

You could also replace them with Metalcloak Duroflex joints:

http://www.metalcloak.com/2-5-8-ODx2-5-16-W-Duroflex-Joint-w-Straight-Spud-p/7305.htm

If your rod ends are in need of replacement now, I'd replace them with Johnny Joints.  If you need upper control arms to solve a problem, then I would choose something that can also take 1-1/4 x 12 tpi rod ends. 

I've never been a fan of the lighter-weight ends used by RK.  They only offer very limited amount of adjustment before you risk bending them.

Thanks for the response Bump. I was just looking into the future. I wanna go a little higher. What do you think about going with a coil over set up? Would I have to go with long arms?

I don't think you HAVE to go long-arms to do coil-overs, but I'm not sure why you'd want to do coil-overs first.  That's a lot of money and effort to invest that you won't be able to take full advantage of with short-arms, and the on-road manners is not very refined.  You're springs will be clacking off the adjustment collar going over every pothole.  It can get nerve-wracking. 

If you are on the fence about long arms, I'd make up my mind before dumping money into upper short control arms.  Unless you can find a deal on some used UCA's, you're going to loose 30-50% when you resell.

What exactly is the problem you're experiencing that makes you want adjustable UCA now? 

I'll read this all later and put a better response together, but I don't like teraflex arms anymore. They apparently can't hardly my setup and I don't know why joints keep blowing out

I'll read this all later and put a better response together, but I don't like teraflex arms anymore. They apparently can't hardly my setup and I don't know why joints keep blowing out

If it's just the joints, maybe try a set of Johnny Joints or Duroflex Joints instead?  See links above.

I don't necessarily want to go coilovers, but I'm just trying to figure out what way to go. This is my first serious wheeling rig and I'd like to do it one time.i've been going back and forth longarm or coilover. I'm not currently having an issue just thinking what way to go.  

I'm trying to quote but I can't.

Wardy had the same issue yesterday.  What browser are you using?  Maybe it's an issue with that?

I don't necessarily want to go coilovers, but I'm just trying to figure out what way to go. This is my first serious wheeling rig and I'd like to do it one time.i've been going back and forth longarm or coilover. I'm not currently having an issue just thinking what way to go.  

Personally, coil-overs would be the last upgrade on my lift of suspension upgrades, not the first.  Particularly if you're wanting long arms.  I would do the long-arms first and afterwards decide if I needed new springs and/or shocks, and if so, whether coil-overs make sense.

Personally, coil-overs would be the last upgrade on my lift of suspension upgrades, not the first.  Particularly if you're wanting long arms.  I would do the long-arms first and afterwards decide if I needed new springs and/or shocks, and if so, whether coil-overs make sense.

I would agree with this entirely.  Coilovers are not exactly street rig hardware and none of us are talking about a JK as a dedicated trail rig just yet.

I would agree with this entirely.  Coilovers are not exactly street rig hardware and none of us are talking about a JK as a dedicated trail rig just yet.

don't tell that to Spedly..

Ok this is why I asked this question. I'll be saving up for a longarm then. Thanks guy's.

Depending on who's longarm you choose, you'll need new rocker protection too and the longarm friendly options ain't cheap.  I looked at about two dozen options and the the ones that worked with the Clayton were the EVO, VKS, PS Rocker Knockers (both mounting types), LoD (which I'm running).  Possibly Shrockworks.  Maybe there are others.