Disconnected Offroad
HEAVYMETAL

Brake Pads

Which do you use? I'm looking at the Hawk LTS for front and rear currently. Do you think the are worth the price difference from the cheap "auto parts brands"?

This is a great question. I replaced mine last time w vato Zone's front & rear. and read discs too. Fronts were OK, but prob need repl next time.  I'd like to know an alt brand for quick and easy pad change next time..

My rear rotors are pretty warped to. More then likely I'll replace all 4 rotors when I pop the pads in. I doubt I'll go drilled or slotted. To me they would seem great for the street or track but off road they will just collect sand and dirt.

Sent from my Obama phone using Tapatalk

My thought is this, getting premium pads, rotors or oem quality is really moot unless you get larger more powerful calipers. With the size tires and extra weight it's almost overwhelming the stock braking system. Yes, a higher heat coefficient you get with a premium pad compound will make you better, but only marginally. If you want to run 37s and stop on a dime, you're going to need more clamping force. Larger, quad pistons up front, and dual pistons in the rears. I've ran the premium pads once, yea it was a little better but not worth the extra coin..

A big brake kit would be nice. I don't want to dump money into a high dollar brake kit for this axle unless it can be easily switched over to 60's.

Sent from my Obama phone using Tapatalk

So far on the JK I've used Wagner and AutoZone house brand premium ceramic pads and noticed minor improvement from stock.  I'm thinking of trying the Hawk Ceramic pads next time as they're price has come down closer to the Wagner and house brand premium pads, and they seem to get good reviews.

I do not get my rotors turned.  There's only two places near me that turn rotors and they are both on the expensive side and you have to wait several days to a week for turn-around or pay a premium for immediate service. There's not a lot of excess material on our rotors anyway.  If they are heavily grooved or near/under run-out I just replace them with house brand rotors, usually at a cost of $60/pair (always replace in pairs).  Otherwise I just cross-sand them with medium grit sandpaper to help bed-in the pads, clean and reuse. 

I've avoided drilled/slotted rotors because a long time ago I read they aren't good for off-roading, as the holes/slots get caked with mud and sand and actually accelerate pad wear and rotor warping. 

I'm not sure I would go as far as quad-piston calipers, but I think dual-piston calipers would be a good improvement if available at reasonable cost.  It can take a lot of pedal force to hold a Rubicon in 4LO on flat or downhill terrain.  There was a thread on JKO theorizing that the dual-piston calipers from a 2012 GC SRT8 might fit the JK.  I can get reman'd calipers for $45-60 + $25-35 core charge with brackets.  Since I can return unused parts to AutoZone I was thinking of giving this a try in the spring.  I'm probably due for new calipers soon anyway, since I've managed almost 4 years on my originals.  If it doesn't work out so be it, I'll just return them.

Aren't the front calipers dual piston already? I know the rears are single.

Pretty sure the fronts are just single. I run the Performance Friction pads and they are a better than stock but my Jk still doesn't stop real great. I really need to take some stuff apart and figure out a larger rotor and caliper for the front. Might have to check out the Grand Cherokee calipers and see if they work. Those with the larger rotor kit from Teraflex might be pretty good. The larger rotor kit is already getting pretty good reviews.   

Which do you use? I'm looking at the Hawk LTS for front and rear currently. Do you think the are worth the price difference from the cheap "auto parts brands"?

When you need to do brakes let me know, I'm getting pretty proficient at them.

Aren't the front calipers dual piston already? I know the rears are single.

Single.

Double check on the Hawk.  Some of their pads are semi-metallic, they call them "ferro-carbon."  My understanding is that semi-metallic is good on the track, but higher dust and that dust will rust, not as good at cold stopping power, and will swell with moisture.

So is best to just stay with the factory pads or the Wagner? I'll prob need brakes this summer. I'm at 69k on the originals front and rear.

• Like 1

I'm using drilled and slotted rotors with Hawk pads in my jeep. The only reason for running this set up is , I drive like my ass is on fire on the street. Brake fade is almost non existent. Performance is way better than stock. One day I will upgrade the front calipers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk . Rich

I agree rich. Drilled and slotted is the way to go..

Says the only guy I know who broke sway links drifting his Jeep on pavement. :rofl:

That's a lot of mileage mango! Pretty good info on this thread

i know, lots of highway driving, I drove from NJ to just about Allentown everyday for 2 years for work. Then I got a job in jersey which is 25 miles each way. My jeep has treated me VERY well.

Says the only guy I know who broke sway links drifting his Jeep on pavement. :rofl:

stupid rk shit lol

I got 50K on my rears before they were toast.  I changed the fronts at 65K but they still had some life left.

That's a lot of mileage mango! Pretty good info on this thread

Yeah. You could've changed em 3 times in that time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah. You could've changed em 3 times in that time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no reason too. No noises,pedal feels fine. I'm good to go so far. Only thing I've done to my rig so far maintenance wise is change the oil. (Knock on wood).