Disconnected Offroad
Sign in to follow this  
kobbs_77

Genright alumunim rear bumper for JK

I selected this bumper because, to my knowledge, it is the only aluminum rear bumper currently available for the JK.  I am very happy with the purchase.  The entire rig weighs about 29 pounds or so. The recovery points are galvanized steel (not aluminum) and don't take paint/powder very well, but I have no problem with that.  I decided to keep the trailer hitch for purposes of utility.  Genright delivers a 1/4" cutout right at the bend in the aluminum that is exactly the width of the JK hitch.  You have to have two straight 6" cuts from that notch to remove enough material to make clearance for the hitch.  The bumper comes pre-drilled with 1 1/4" holes for aft lighting and Genright sells  small 3 watt and 10 watt LED units that fit right in.  It's also the most flush bumper I've seen except for those that require the removal of the rear crossmember.  This will be paired with the Teraflex HD carrier.  When complete, the two units will save some serious weight over my old integrated bumper/carrier.

• Like 1

Nice clean tig welds. Must be $$$$$ there.. Envy

Actually, I got a stooooopid good deal from JJG right before Genright upped their prices.  I'd list the amount, but Christian might kill me.

As for the welds, the Globex guys said the same thing.  Whomever is doing the welding is truly master class.

Aluminum welds are hard as shit to get pretty. At least for me. Looks top notch Rick!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn't know the Amish. Tig, mig, or stick welded. Maybe the reason they look look so not pretty

Aluminum welds are hard as shit to get pretty. At least for me. Looks top notch Rick!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trade secrets, aluminum's a bitch to TIG.  

Well fitting part, tight weld preps, clean the shit out of everything with MEK, and use helium as the background gas

Rick how bright are the lights?

I don't really know yet, as I just tested them out in the shop.  Figure an average LED is putting out 50 lumens per watt (the best put out 100 lumens per watt), so 500 lumens of output.  I'll take some night pics soon.  I do know that tailgaters would not be happy once I hit the switch.

• Like 2