Disconnected Offroad
Sign in to follow this  
HEAVYMETAL

What paint do you use?

I'm trying to make a decision on what paint to use for my rear bumper. I've been using Rustoleum Textured black for awhile now. The finish looks awesome for a few months but it fades and the texture wears off quickly. I notice this on my rocker knockers especially where my legs rub getting in and out. Ive been thinking about duplicolor truck bed coating because Alien just did his Ace and I liked the results. What brand and finish have you guys been using? How did it hold up with this horrible past winter?

I'm trying to make a decision on what paint to use for my rear bumper. I've been using Rustoleum Textured black for awhile now. The finish looks awesome for a few months but it fades and the texture wears off quickly. I notice this on my rocker knockers especially where my legs rub getting in and out. Ive been thinking about duplicolor truck bed coating because Alien just did his Ace and I liked the results. What brand and finish have you guys been using? How did it hold up with this horrible past winter?

Don't use what Steve used.  I believe it's bedliner, and while It holds up nicely, but it rips your calf skin off every time you jump out.  It's just unfriendly.

Went through this issue with my hood Louvers and continue to use this method. I hate shiny paint, I hate fading paint. I love the texture of bedliner but it does fade. So here's how I counteract fading.

1. Prep surface

2. Lay down a nice coat of self etching primer.

3. Use rustoleum spray on bedliner can ($8 can). Multiple coats if needed.

4. Once bedliner dries, use a high quality flat black or satin too coat. VHT epoxy is what I used on the hood louvers.

The high quality paint resists fading well. The hood is obviously in direct sunlight and has held up like new for over a year now. All paints will eventually fad just be prepared to respray when needed. I used this same method on the rubi rails and seems to work. as for my front and rear ACE bumpers the factory paint has held up well so far.

I used Dupli-Color spay on bed liner on my bumper over self etch and it came out amazing. Yes, it would fade, but armor-all would bring it back up to black just fine. Part of the deal when I got the Rubi was the dealer keeps my stock bumper, I keep my JCR. But, the dealer had to make the swap. Sure enough, they fucked up the bed liner. I re-coated it, but had a bad can or it was too cold and it came out blotchy.

Since then, I used Rustolium trextured black to coat the bumper and my Ace rails and really liked it. It matched the powder coating on my rails perfectly. Yes, it too faded, but again Armor-All and even Mother's Back to Black brings it back to new-ish.

there's paint other than textured rustoleum rattlecans?

I've been having trouble finding textured back. Seems "multicolored" is what they're stocking the shelves with.

I use the brush on Rustoleum Bedliner and it works and holds up great. My old bumper before I sold it was over 2 years old without any real fading. That is one of my favorite things about the rustoleum is I can touch up the bumper without having to repaint the whole thing.  

• Like 1