Mike

CPR and First Aid

53 posts in this topic

I am going to start working on 2 more write-ups; one on choosing & properly stocking a first aid kit and another on some of the basics on how to use the supplies in the kit. But, there's one thing that you should have 1st that can't fit into any kit, a CPR class. There's 2 things I always tell my new trainees - When all else fails, as long as you know CPR you'll be fine and you can't make dead worse. (Which isn't true, but that's a story for another time)

So, what I'm recommending for any Keeper or camper is to take a CPR course. To help with this, I might be able to set up a class for the members of Disconnected if there is enough interest. You'd have to come to me (right off the NJ turnpike exit #3) and it will be a 2 - 3 hour class, but you'll walk away with a CPR cert and a very useful skill.

If you'd be interested, post up and I'll see what I can do & what the cost would be.

I was certified in high school, and a Boy Scout. But that was a long enough time ago that I remember nothing. Having a child in the house now, I think it's a good idea. I'm interested for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel controversy coming on.  But I totally agree with training first and stuff second. 

Don't put stuff in your first aid kit that you're not trained to use. 

Another thing I'd really like to see is a twice-a-year FAK restocking party.  Most FAK items have a short shelf-life in a vehicle due to temperature extremes.  Buying replacements individually can be a substantial cost, but get 10 or so guys to combine their needs and that cost goes down greatly. 

Interested in both.  I have 2 or 3 first aid kits, but have no idea if they would cover everything needed.

Interested in both.  I have 2 or 3 first aid kits, but have no idea if they would cover everything needed.

This is why the training is more important than the kit.  First aid materials can be improvised with knowledge.  Knowledge cannot be improvised with first aid supplies.

1 person likes this

I feel controversy coming on.  But I totally agree with training first and stuff second. 

Don't put stuff in your first aid kit that you're not trained to use. 

Another thing I'd really like to see is a twice-a-year FAK restocking party.  Most FAK items have a short shelf-life in a vehicle due to temperature extremes.  Buying replacements individually can be a substantial cost, but get 10 or so guys to combine their needs and that cost goes down greatly. 

This is why I'll have a very basic what to stock write-up and a very basic how-to/what-to thread to cover why some things are good to cover, why some things are not.  All basics.  There's a lot of fancy things out there right now and the internet can get you into a lot of trouble, especially with a lot of these pop-up survival supply websites pushing quick clot and military style tourniquets.  Those will NOT be on my list.

This is why I'll have a very basic what to stock write-up and a very basic how-to/what-to thread to cover why some things are good to cover, why some things are not.  All basics.  There's a lot of fancy things out there right now and the internet can get you into a lot of trouble, especially with a lot of these pop-up survival supply websites pushing quick clot and military style tourniquets.  Those will NOT be on my list.

Agreed.  These things are get to have in maybe 1% of all injuries, if you have the right training.  For the other 99% of the time, knowledge of CPR, basic first aid, a roll of Micropor tape, a handful of gauze and a cell phone is all you need.  Substitute a maxi-pad or cotton t-shirt and duct tape if needed. 

My training is so far out of date that one of the courses doesn't even exist anymore.  I really want to do the NOLS Wilderness EMT but 8 days and $800 plus travel (since they seem to never offer it in the area) is a big stretch.

I'm in for this.  I was certified years ago and remember very little.

I'm in for this. I was certified years ago and remember very little.

X2.

Sent from the fifth circle of hell

a lot of employers offer these classes, we do a CPR/AED course at our office during working hours.  

I need to recheck my FAK, it was built around an extended personal use BOB concept from the Zombie Squad forums.

I'm recerting my CPR/AED next month thru work.

1 person likes this

I have both, and there up to date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk . Rich

Mine are up to date, job requirement

Used to recert yearly when I was a lifeguard. But not anymore. My mom got me supplies from her hospital, all sterile. gauze, large wound dressings, tapes, band aids, gloves, quick clot, iodine, alcohol prep pads, suture kit, ice packs, burn cream, and quick clot. I feel I'm more than competent with field dressing wounds from all the personal training I've given myself but could always use more

Used to recert yearly when I was a lifeguard. But not anymore. My mom got me supplies from her hospital, all sterile. gauze, large wound dressings, tapes, band aids, gloves, quick clot, iodine, alcohol prep pads, suture kit, ice packs, burn cream, and quick clot. I feel I'm more than competent with field dressing wounds from all the personal training I've given myself but could always use more

You are probably more experienced than most EMT's in that regards.  Personally, I wound ditch the suture kit. Unless it's TEOTWAWKI, steri-strips, band-aids or even duct tape is a better temporary field solution.  Anything that would need to be stitched would also need to be cleaned and debrided in a sterile environment before sewing-up.  Plus it is incredibly difficult to suture yourself, particularly for a hand or arm laceration, and you would definitely not want to suture someone else.

I hear you but the kit is smaller than a playing card and as thin as a pack of matches. I see it as it's so small, it was free and it's better to have it if all else fails. I'm no emt though.

I'm in for this.

I'll look into setting this up tomorrow :up:

I'll look into setting this up tomorrow :up:

Excellent.  Also, we can look into bulk purchase of supplies to keep stuff up to date.

I'm busy tomorrow. Can we do another day?

3 people like this

I'm busy tomorrow. Can we do another day?

Setting it up tomorrow, not for tomorrow

Setting it up tomorrow, not for tomorrow

I know...

1 person likes this

Have to maintain mine for work. Interested in putting together a good 1st aid kit especially with the baby now.