Disconnected Offroad

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mike

CPR and First Aid

Have to maintain mine for work. Interested in putting together a good 1st aid kit especially with the baby now.

Very different kit.  Some will be the same, but most of what you'll be able to use is probably already in your diaper bag.  Only thing I can think of that isn't in your diaper bag, and yes I do know what's in there, something to make them puke, something to get them to stop puking, and maybe some gauze.  I just cut a diaper in half and used that for bleeding.  Chemical ice packs are good.

I got some info on this earlier this week.  Finally getting some time in front of a computer to catch up.  Looking like a CPR only class will run about $40 a person, which includes the class, your text book, and your CPR card.  A CPR / 1st Aid course would run about $80 a person.  

I'm in for whatever. When it's needed most, knowledge has no price.

Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

Week night or weekend?

Week night would be easier to pull off for me.

I'd be up for first aid as well, but if the majority can't swing it, step by step is fine with me.

I got some info on this earlier this week.  Finally getting some time in front of a computer to catch up.  Looking like a CPR only class will run about $40 a person, which includes the class, your text book, and your CPR card.  A CPR / 1st Aid course would run about $80 a person.  

I'd come down for a CPR/FA course.  $80 seems reasonable to me considering prices I've seen elsewhere.  Assume this is a one-day thing.

Next door neighbor's 8 year old son had a seizure and passed out yesterday. Ambulance came. Kid is undergoing tests. I helped getting him to lay comfortably on his side + ABC - airway breathing circulation etc, but I need a refresher. If date and time works, I'd like to do this class.

BUMP.  Let's get an update next week.  Maybe pick some dates.

What?  This is Mike's idea. :)

I believe my CPR guy is due in to work Wednesday or Thursday.  Will talk to him them to set it up.

I am def interested in this. My last cpr class was in 1977!

I remember grabbing her tits yelling "Annie are you ok?"

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

So here's the info.  To do a combined CPR and 1st Aid class, it's gonna run $80 and be around 8 hours long.  So, the 2 options would be a weekend class or 2 different weeknight dates. which I'm sure will be rough for those who want to travel.

Just a CPR class could be done in one night, depending on how involved you want to get (basic or covering adult, child, and infant)

I'm in for the 8 hour class. just not during the first two weeks of August.

So here's the info.  To do a combined CPR and 1st Aid class, it's gonna run $80 and be around 8 hours long.  So, the 2 options would be a weekend class or 2 different weeknight dates. which I'm sure will be rough for those who want to travel.

Just a CPR class could be done in one night, depending on how involved you want to get (basic or covering adult, child, and infant)

as far as CPR, there shouldn't be a basic option, personally i believe you should be able to help anyone who needs it especially if you're being certified, and we wheel with adults and kids, and maybe even the occasional infant. you never know who might need it. might as well go all out.

I just got recerted at work the other day.

Adult CPR, AED, and first aid.

It was really just a blast thru of info, not real thorough, just basics.

The shocking thing to me is how easy/simplified CPR has become. It's all about compressions now, you barely do rescue breathing at all.

Great subject...thanks Klink.

I'm interested in the one-day all-in-one class.  Too far for me to drive two days in a row. 

Haven't forgotten about this. Summer wouldn't have worked for everyone so looking at October or November. :up:

There is a more involved way to do this that I've been looking into.  A lot more time and a lot more expensive, but you'd come away with a ton more skills.

The Wilderness First Aid (WFA) course will help you prepare for the unexpected. This fast paced, hands-on training is designed to meet the needs of trip leaders, camp staff, outdoor enthusiasts and individuals working in remote locations. It will introduce you to caring for people who become ill or injured far from definitive medical care. Classroom lectures and demonstrations are combined with realistic scenarios where mock patients will challenge you to integrate your learning. At the end of the course, you’ll have the knowledge, skills and ability to make sound decisions in emergency situations.

Taught by seasoned instructors in a two or two and a half day format, most WFA courses are held on a weekend. Learning takes place both in the classroom and in outdoor settings regardless of weather conditions. Come prepared for wet, muddy, cold or hot environments.

Prerequisites: No previous first aid training is required. You must be 16 years old to attend this course.

Certification: Successful course completion earns you a WMI Wilderness First Aid certification. If applicable, you will also earn a WMI Adult & Child CPR certification. Both certifications are current for two years.

http://www.nols.edu/wmi/courses/wildfirstaid.shtml

The WFR course is designed to provide you with the tools to make critical medical and evacuation decisions in remote locations. Classroom lectures and demonstrations are combined with realistic scenarios where mock patients will challenge you to integrate your learning.

Learning takes place both in the classroom and in outdoor settings regardless of weather conditions. Come prepared for wet, muddy, cold or hot environments.

Prerequisites: No previous first aid training is required. You must be 16 years old to attend this course.

Certification: Participants are required to pass both written and practical examinations to obtain WFR and CPR certification. Successful course completion earns you a WMI Adult & Child CPR certification and a WMI Wilderness First Responder certification. EMTs will earn a Wilderness EMT certification. All certifications are current for two years.

http://www.nols.edu/wmi/courses/wfr.shtml 

WFA in Bloomsburg Nov 14 & 15.  Anyone else interested?

Love to do WFR, but 8 days is a stretch

would really like this, but not sure what the cost is???? every time i click the link I get a bad page.....

would really like this, but not sure what the cost is???? every time i click the link I get a bad page.....

Wilderness First Aid seems to run around $250.  Wilderness 1st Responder seems to be between $700 - $800.  

Here's a matrix of the courses they offer.  They do offer some pretty extreme courses if you really want to get into it.  http://www.nols.edu/wmi/courses/course_matrix.shtml