Disconnected Offroad
Sign in to follow this  
Artayay

the Military Surplus Trailers Thread

I don't know all the different ones, like M101, M413, or whatever, but sounds like some people are really getting into these.. what's all the fuss about?

Military trailers are sturdy, built for off road use, and available relatively inexpensively due to government surplus. Typically, they have a higher ground clearance than average civilian trailers. From my research, the ones that are most often used for Jeeps are -

1) M416 - a 1/4 ton trailer, weighing approximately 560 lbs. Tub is bolted to the frame. 5x5.5 bolt pattern matches the CJ-7 wheels.

2) Canadian M101 - same as the M416 but included a tailgate, tub is welded to the frame.

3) M101 - a 3/4 ton trailer weighing approximately 1200 lbs. The M101 came in four variants -
     a) M101 - 5 lug wheels, hand brake levers in the center of the tub
     b) M101A1 - 5 lug wheels, hand brakes moved to the sides of the tub
     c) M101A2 - Chevy 8 lug wheels, surge brakes
     d) M101A3 - (I might be wrong on this one) - Humvee wheels with an upgraded axle increasing load to 1 ton, and a larger tub

4) M1101 - Also known as Light Tactical Trailer - 3/4 ton trailer, Humvee wheels, 1400 lbs, aluminum tub

5) M1102 - same as the M1101 but with a different data plate

Military trailers are sturdy, built for off road use, and available relatively inexpensively due to government surplus. Typically, they have a higher ground clearance than average civilian trailers. From my research, the ones that are most often used for Jeeps are -

1) M416 - a 1/4 ton trailer, weighing approximately 560 lbs. Tub is bolted to the frame. 5x5.5 bolt pattern matches the CJ-7 wheels.

2) Canadian M101 - same as the M416 but included a tailgate, tub is welded to the frame.

3) M101 - a 3/4 ton trailer weighing approximately 1200 lbs. The M101 came in four variants -

a) M101 - 5 lug wheels, hand brake levers in the center of the tub

b) M101A1 - 5 lug wheels, hand brakes moved to the sides of the tub

c) M101A2 - Chevy 8 lug wheels, surge brakes

d) M101A3 - (I might be wrong on this one) - Humvee wheels with an upgraded axle increasing load to 1 ton, and a larger tub

4) M1101 - Also known as Light Tactical Trailer - 3/4 ton trailer, Humvee wheels, 1400 lbs

5) M1102 - same as the M1101 but with a different data plate.

Based on recent searches some of the M1101 and M1102 are 1 ton trailers, also aluminum.

Based on recent searches some of the M1101 and M1102 are 1 ton trailers, also aluminum.

Yup, all of the 1101's and 1102's are aluminum AFAIK. The load rating on them is 1940lbs, so not quite a ton, but close enough for government work. :coffee: I don't think government regulations allow them to be classified as 1 ton since they're 60lbs shy.

What Rich said.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Queue Perry With His height.

jk let's get back on topic

• Like 1