Disconnected Offroad
Sign in to follow this  
Artayay

Enclosed Trailers..

Is it filled with a bunch of stock suspension parts that no wanted and aren't worth scrap?

I could make that happen, we have plenty around the shop.

• Like 2

Yeah who needs stock control arms floating around a shit box if you have long arms. lol puddle jumping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Define what you mean by "enclosed trailers?"

Is this limited to closed utility trailers?  Enclosed car carriers?  Race trailers?  Trailers customized for use as a camper or even a mobile workshop?  Do camping trailers fall into this category?

• Like 2

Although I am OP, clean this up and keep on topic or it will be removed or scrubbed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am admitting my sins and offering penance. If it is too much for this forum to handle, I can remove the temptation.

• Like 1

Define what you mean by "enclosed trailers?"

Is this limited to closed utility trailers? Enclosed car carriers? Race trailers? Trailers customized for use as a camper or even a mobile workshop? Do camping trailers fall into this category?

Bump - what are the specs on yours? Saw it at Batona - the thing opens into a chateau

Was thinking standard enclosed landscape style trailer, however, anything that falls into this category is fair game.

Bump - what are the specs on yours? Saw it at Batona - the thing opens into a chateau

The pop-up is a 1978 Coleman Valley Forge.  The box is 8.5' long and the GVWC is 1800, probably 1350 dry.  I've dragged that thing through probably 100 miles of sand at Wharton.  There are two slide-out doubles and the dinette turns into another double, so technically you can sleep six but realistically three (unless you're close friends).  Most of the shit doesn't work but there's plenty of storage and better than sleeping on the ground IMO. 

If I can get this new trailer project off the ground I'll sell the pop-up for $500.  The new project:

• Like 2

I like it, bump, but  check out this suspension geometry.  Trailing ladder arms with air bags.  Should slide over anything real well.  If you get real sexy with the airbags, you can adjust ride height, parked height, and level the trailer.

3-18-02-37.jpgimg_0738-2-18-02-26.jpg

That's nice, but I don't need to drag my trailer over 4 foot boulders and don't want to spend $40K to have to setup and sleep in a tent. 

My primary requirement is to be able to tow it over graded to moderate trails to a campsite and then just stop, make dinner and sleep with zero setup, then go the next morning with zero take down.  The JK doesn't have enough HP and torque to be dragging 1-1.5K of trailer over rocks.

That's nice, but I don't need to drag my trailer over 4 foot boulders and don't want to spend $40K to have to setup and sleep in a tent. 

My primary requirement is to be able to tow it over graded to moderate trails to a campsite and then just stop, make dinner and sleep with zero setup, then go the next morning with zero take down.  The JK doesn't have enough HP and torque to be dragging 1-1.5K of trailer over rocks.

Not talking about the trailer for itself, just the suspension.  Should be easy to duplicate.  Also, I don't think it would be a big deal to drag that over the kind of rocks your talking about in 4Lo.  But, if you're not going to pull a trailer over rocks, I agree it's not worth the effort to go beyond leaf springs.  That particular trailer goes for $20k and weighs 1700 lbs. But, for an additional $800, they'll reinforce the deck so you can put an ATV on top.  I don't run them, so I don't care, but its interesting.