Disconnected Offroad
Sign in to follow this  
HEAVYMETAL

How do you secure your junk?

I'd like to see how you guys secure your crawlers to your hauler. Let's start the debate of chains vs straps, X vs V configuration, and frame vs axle.

I have a set of 8' 10k 3,333 LBS WLL ratchets with twisted hooks and axle loops. They appear to be almost identical to the Mac's for over half the price.

I've been securing to the axles as opposed to the frame. My feeling is that the suspension would need to be compressed to the bumpstops otherwise the bounce could jerk the straps causing fatigue and premature failure. I can feel a little body roll from the jeep while axle strapping but it's nothing unbearable.

As far as strap configuration I've been straight or V strapping the rear and X the front. I've read and have a few different theories on X vs V. With a X the straps seem to fight for the same real estate and want to rub agaisnt eachother, this isn't good for obvious reasons. The other issue if one strap was to break it would want to pull the rig sideways. With a straight strap setup there is no opposing tension to keep the rig from "walking" sideways while enroute. So for me I've been using both methods combined.

yme4ema2.jpg

degemyze.jpg

I was a little confused on your thread how do your secure your junk. I usually tie it to my left leg. Then your talking about tying your rig down. Hear is my thoughts. I drove tow trucks for a few years for extra $. I prefer strapping down the axles crossing the rear straps. This serves 2 purposes, it allows the body to move putting less stress on the straps and second crossing the rear straps keeps the rig centered on the trailer. The best way to secure a rig to get tire straps on all 4 tires.

• Like 1

I was a little confused on your thread how do your secure your junk. I usually tie it to my left leg. Then your talking about tying your rig down. Hear is my thoughts. I drove tow trucks for a few years for extra $. I prefer strapping down the axles crossing the rear straps. This serves 2 purposes, it allows the body to move putting less stress on the straps and second crossing the rear straps keeps the rig centered on the trailer. The best way to secure a rig to get tire straps on all 4 tires.

Whats the advantage over Xing the rear over the front? The only reason I chose to do the front over the rear was purely strap placement convenience. My other thought would be that the strap would be stronger more parallel with the direction of movement. Deceleration forces seem to be stronger then acceleration forces. I could be completely wrong in my entire theory.

I x the front of mine with the axle straps through the inner c's. Rear gets straight straps since xing them causes one to rub the rear track bar mount. If I am going on a longer trip I'll hook a front and rear frame strap on it too. It takes some of the bounce out and tows better. I've got the mac's straps with chain extensions. They are awesome for hooking to the rub rail or stake pockets.

I trust chains a million times over straps.. straps wear, break etc. On a 4x4 rig with a million places to hook up to I'll use chains. Use them on 40k lb pieces if equipment, a 5l rig ain't shit.

I x the front of mine with the axle straps through the inner c's. Rear gets straight straps since xing them causes one to rub the rear track bar mount. If I am going on a longer trip I'll hook a front and rear frame strap on it too. It takes some of the bounce out and tows better. I've got the mac's straps with chain extensions. They are awesome for hooking to the rub rail or stake pockets.

The chain extensions are a must if your strapping over the frame rails on the trailer.

I trust chains a million times over straps.. straps wear, break etc. On a 4x4 rig with a million places to hook up to I'll use chains. Use them on 40k lb pieces if equipment, a 5l rig ain't shit.

I have about 50' of grade 70 chain I plan on cutting down into shorter pieces if I ever need it. I'm gonna grab a few ratchet binders from tractor supply at some point. I like the convenience and easy handling of the straps over chain. Chain is also crazy noisy at 3am when loading up agaisnt a steel deck. Lol. I trust both. Strap wear is easy to look for and most quality straps have wear indicators. I'd use either or honestly.

I'm thinking once I find that perfect position on my trailer I'm going to make a set of fixed length chain or strap for the rear. Basically I'll pull on the trailer, loop the fixed length riggings to the rear axle and rear trailer D rings, roll it forward and anchor the front with ratchets. With this method I think you will always go to the same position taking the guess work out of placement.

Thoughts?

I have chains and binders in the truck just in case. I may end up having to use them after I get done with my axle swap. There isn't much real-estate on the new axles for straps.

I'm thinking once I find that perfect position on my trailer I'm going to make a set of fixed length chain or strap for the rear. Basically I'll pull on the trailer, loop the fixed length riggings to the rear axle and rear trailer D rings, roll it forward and anchor the front with ratchets. With this method I think you will always go to the same position taking the guess work out of placement.

Thoughts?

If it were a big piece of equipment I'd say use two binders. With a lil jeep that'll be fine, but I'll tell u from experience you'll likely run out of thread on the binders. They don't work so well with alot of slack. I wouldn't do it.

If it were a big piece of equipment I'd say use two binders. With a lil jeep that'll be fine, but I'll tell u from experience you'll likely run out of thread on the binders. They don't work so well with alot of slack. I wouldn't do it.

By law I know you need 4 points of contact. So that means 4 chains and 2 binders. There won't be much slack if I roll forward so the rears tight before ratcheting the front.

2 fixed length riggings for the rear

2 lengths and ratchets for the front.

Can you visualize what I'm saying?

Yea i gotcha. I would just do one long chain and 1 binder up front, same for the back.