Disconnected Offroad
Sign in to follow this  
Kindred

M1101 Surplus Military Trailer

I'm going to use this thread to record the adventures of purchasing this beast. I'm just dropping some pics for now, but I'll keep the first post updated with info as I write it.

I purchased this M1101 from Government Liquidations, an auction website for government surplus equipment. After doing some research, and my own personal experience, I must make a warning about Government Liquidations. The way this site works, you can place a maximum bid on an auction and the system will increment your bid up to the limit to keep you as the high bidder. Once the auction ends, you are not declared the winner until you receive an email from them stating that you have won the auction (typically between 12am and 1am the night the auction ends). I have read a couple of stories of people that placed a maximum bid only to be outbid near the end of the auction. However, later that evening they received the email saying they had won for their maximum bid. This seems strange, as whoever outbid them should have been the winner. In my case, I placed a maximum, and towards the end of the auction my bid was increased up to my maximum. I was the high bidder but my maximum bid had been reached. I might be paranoid in thinking that this seems slightly fishy, but remember that unlike eBay, which is a mostly neutral middle man in the transaction, Government Liquidations is both the seller of the goods and the maintainer of the site and software.

Also, be aware that with most auctions on Government Liquidations, you will be charged a 10% Buyers Premium. This is an additional fee on top of the winning bid. You may also be charged sales tax on your purchase, so keep these costs in mind when calculating your maximum bid.

If you are shopping for a military surplus trailer and trying to decide what a fair price would be, remember that there are several factors involved. I have seen M1101's go for anywhere from $200 to $1400. Prices seem to be somewhat regional, with lower prices in the South (Texas, Alabama, Georgia) and higher prices up in the Northeast. Also, age of the trailer is a factor. Trailers such as mine from 2009 tend to go for higher prices than same model trailers from the mid 1990's. If the bows, tarp, and stabilizer legs are included that can also drive the price up.

So, on to my experience -

Winning an auction at Government Liquidations

The auction I was bidding on was a three day auction, opening on Tuesday and ending at 5:00pm EST on Thursday. I bid on one trailer early on and was outbid. I decided to wait until 4:45pm on Thursday to place my maximum bid. I say 4:45, because when you place a bid on Government Liquidations within 15 minutes of the end of the auction, an additional 15 minutes are added to the clock. After placing my bid, I waited and watched the price go up and up, and finally at 5:07pm the auction ended and I was the high bidder. At 1:20am that night I received my email from Government Liquidations indicating that I had won the auction.

The next day I checked my account information and noticed that there was no invoice. When I checked payment status (I had registered a credit card to pay with when I created my account) I saw that payment status was listed as "waiting". I called customer service and they informed me that they were currently processing all of the invoices from the day before and that the invoice would be posted to my account. At 3:20pm I received an email indicating that my invoice was ready.

Collecting my winnings

My invoice included the address and phone number of the facility where the trailer was being held. I called and scheduled an appointment for the following Tuesday. On Monday I attempted to register the trailer at the DMV in order to be legal bringing it home, but I was denied. More on this later. Tuesday morning I arrived with a copy of my invoice and my photo id. The women behind the counter verified my information and called for the site manager to take me to the trailer. The site manager walked me to the trailer, verified the numbers on the invoice against the numbers on the data plate, and went and got a forklift to lift the tongue onto the hitch. This last part was unnecessary, but he wanted to help. After that, I was allowed to sit in the staging area and fiddle with the lights and whatnot before leaving on my way.

Lights - I had read that most people bring magnetic lights to get home. $10 at Harbor Freight seems to be the consensus. I went to Harbor Freight, and there were no lights to be had for under $50. I found the same to be true at Advance Auto and Walmart, so I gave up. I had previously purchased a cargo basket for the trailer hitch which included a light kit, and I decided this light kit would do for getting the trailer home.

So, in the staging area of the yard, lights and zip ties in hand, I feebly attempt for about half an hour in the rain to figure out a way to mount these lights to the trailer. Although there are loops on the side, running the zip ties through them does not have the desired effect of keeping the light secured. I might have managed to attach the lights to the back of the trailer if the extension cord I had brought was anywhere near long enough. It wasn't. In a fit of anger and frustration, I decide to cut off the military 10 pin connector and wire the extension cord directly into the trailer wiring. This is actually a good idea, and a perfectly viable way of overcoming the issue of getting the trailer home. However, this requires either: A) a multimeter to trace out the wires or B) a wiring diagram. I had neither of these, and searching online using my phone in the rain wasn't working.

After fighting, and losing, with the trailer wires, I give up a second time and revert back to plan A - basket lights. I dig out my roll of Gorilla Tape (everyone needs one of these in a Jeep) and tape the lights to the top of the trailer as far back as the extension cord would let me.

Gorilla tape works. The lights didn't move, even at 70mph, and when I got home the lights hadn't budged a millimeter.

d3215a5910330539c66f5e77d8d6308d.jpg70019a09389e31061619053623fe8309.jpg6c8d472c192cf8e261acf1b190ba799d.jpgcd24908b73cff643a51dc6c00cd8f40c.jpg97410b3d9b33791abd6db01a9be00243.jpg58a38065559f2f74c4c9fb347a5a945c.jpg

• Like 5

Dibs noted. No game plan really. I just needed a trailer for hauling stuff. It's not going to be an expedition trailer or anything fancy.

Step 1 was rewiring for 12v 4pin, which is done. Next will be paint and bedline, although that will be in the fall sometime. I need to order another rear stabilizer leg. It kills me that I didn't notice that of the six trailers in the lot, the one that I bid on was missing a leg. Worse was the fact that the place I picked it up from had scrap trailers (in a pile without wheels) with legs but they refused to sell one to me because they were government equipment and hadn't been cleared for sale. I was sorely tempted to just grab one and go, but my conscience wouldn't allow it.

Nice! Have you figured out how much bacon it can haul?

Of course, that was the first thing I did! 2,040 lbs of bacon.

Maiden Voyage.

Packed for vacation.......

67096bdc72fe3370be952d45126ae4f9.jpg

Just the bare essentials!

4cc5c96079fde7add0877636b7284ccd.jpg.

We even have cans of cranberry sauce and corn, because who doesn't think of thanksgiving when they're at the beach? :suicide:

• Like 1

Isn't that one tire on backwards, by your pup. Thought they were directional.

I certainly hope not.

If so, the sidewall will be marked "Rotation" with an arrow.

Wheels are round, they roll in two directions. No biggie.

According to the Google they are non directional, and there no rotation markings or arrows. I think I'm good.

OBX. Duck NC, just north of Kitty Hawk.

We will see who sees who first... Game on lol
  • Like 2

Yeah, it wouldn't be fair if I didn't have it to spot.

Jealous.  I loved going north to Corolla to run my old ZJ  on the beach up there.

• Like 1

We will see who sees who first... Game on lol

You're going down! Lol.

Where are you staying?

Yeah, it wouldn't be fair if I didn't have it to spot.

There are about 8 thousand Wranglers on the road down here. Bunch of mall crawlers and soccer moms.

Hello, my name is Mr. Pot. Have you seen Mr. Kettle anywhere?

• Like 1

You're going down! Lol.

Where are you staying?

Southern Shores so I'm pretty close lol