Disconnected Offroad
Sign in to follow this  
Artayay

Hitch Skids

Rick, don't forget to air up your spare..

and, I'm gonna put together some ideas for that hitch slider.. you said the one you have has a Pat Pending?

Rick, don't forget to air up your spare..

and, I'm gonna put together some ideas for that hitch slider.. you said the one you have has a Pat Pending?

Yeah, I'm going to have to put together a checklist for wheeling. As for the hitch slider, I recall their website saying it was patent pending, but if that language is no longer there, it was likely denied.

I post up pics of the hitch slider. I bent it a little but it held up okay. 1/2 steel may not be needed after all. More testing needed 😃

Request submitted for dealer status.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

. Excellent, as I'd like to upgrade to the Extreme version soon. 😊

Steel plate

Plasma cutter

Receiver Tube

Drill press

220 Welder

Grinder and pads

Self Etching primer

Flat black rustoleum

I would think we could make 8 in a day with 3 FTEs, if we gave some dimensions to Fazio's and had some pieces pre cut, we could probably do 16 in a day with 2 FTEs. 

Group buy and build?  Could be a fun winter project.

Steel plate

Plasma cutter

Receiver Tube

Drill press

220 Welder

Grinder and pads

Self Etching primer

Flat black rustoleum

I would think we could make 8 in a day with 3 FTEs, if we gave some dimensions to Fazio's and had some pieces pre cut, we could probably do 16 in a day with 2 FTEs.

Group buy and build? Could be a fun winter project.

I have all that equipment to make them.

Sounds like a lawsuit.

Only if you try to sell them.

Sounds like a lawsuit.

Only if we sell them.  If we just all chip in on materials, we have something for a fraction of the cost, and probably over engineered, just the way we like it.

Only if we sell them. If we just all chip in on materials, we have something for a fraction of the cost, and probably over engineered, just the way we like it.

Put me in for one. Not much of a fabricator but even I can't mess up spray paint!

Only if we sell them. If we just all chip in on materials, we have something for a fraction of the cost, and probably over engineered, just the way we like it.

A: can we have a new thread mods?

B: I have a factory bumper, and use a shackle in my hitch for a rear tow point. Maybe a secondary design for these with a tab for a shackle?

• Like 1

The tab would reduce clearance and/or smoothness. Just pack both.

Oh contrair, moan fraire' (sp).

Here's a rough sketch of my idea.

Cut a opening/notch in the rear portion of the skid (fig A).

Add support ie over-engineering in the way of gussets to both sides of the opening (fig B)

Which will also serve as guides for a strap attached by a shackle to the tab (fig C).

It would need some tweaking and adjust of dimensions to get right, as this is a very rough sketch.

My sketch:

Rendering of commercially available product:

Mason, your job will be to cut the notch.

Good idea, and I think that can be sourced from McMaster

Here's a thought.  Take that idea and add a two arms that go out at a diagonal then up for a pair of jerry-can mounts.  Sort of like this...

The notch you cut out will materially weaken the, um, material.  Here are some pics of mine.  You can see the corners are turned up and a little bent and that's without a notch.  You might have to use a larger gusset than the one shown, however, it may be doable.  This thing saved my ass this past weekend.  John has video.

FWIW, welded on clevis tabs worry me a little.  I like them better when they are inserted into a cutout that is smaller than the base of the tab.  Not sure we can accomplish that here.  Then again, you're pulling parallel to the weld, which may be stronger than if you were pulling perpendicular to the weld.

Bump, I like the idea, but opening the tailgate would be a PITA, no?

The notch you cut out will materially weaken the, um, material.  Here's a pic of mine.  You can see the corners are turned up and a little bent.  That's without a notch.  Yes you could weld in a gusset, but then you might lose the ability to use it as a hi-lift jack base.

Bump, I like the idea, but opening the tailgate would be a PITA, no?

Yes, opening the tailgate would require removing the uprights for the jerry cans.  The way I envision is that the diagonal coming from the hitch would end just below the tailgate, with a smaller piece of square tube inside that can slide up and have some adjustment to accommodate tires from 35 to 42" diameter.

• Like 1

Mason, here's a beefy looking, if surprisingly expensive d-ring tab

http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/Heavy-Duty-Clevis-D-ring-Tab_p_1553.html

Or, Mason, you can mod the stock bumper by adding one or two of these:

http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/Through-Bumper-Clevis-Mount_p_1784.html

Could the upswing of that skid be made thicker and then drilled to be able to accept a D-ring?  Just a thought for anyone thinking of a DIY version.   :hmm: